Memories of Sheffield Gay Pride

sandyra

I have been told recently that Sheffield had a pride event of sorts in the 90s at some point. This was the last official pride we had here and I wondered if anyone who was around then has any memories of what happened, where it was located, what the atmosphere was like etc.

Thanks, and please don't use this discussion to question the concept of a gay pride.

I have been told recently that Sheffield had a pride event of sorts in the 90s at some point. This was the last official pride we had here and I wondered if anyone who was around then has any memories of what happened, where it was located, what the atmosphere was like etc.

Thanks, and please don't use this discussion to question the concept of a gay pride.

Why not? You have pushed it into the Forum. Are we not allowed to understand what a "Gay Pride" is. You want answers from the forum then why cannot we non- understanders ask questions back? As far as I'm bothered it sounds like a pack of happy lions.

So you used this forum to advertise another.

That is quite acceptable if it is concerned about the topic of this thread -Gay Pride-.

For THIS year's Gay Pride, please click on the following for the current thread:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=244228&page=9&highlight=South+Yorkshire+Gay+Pride

This thread, meanwhile, is fine for discussing previous Gay Prides: I seem to recall that there was a Gay Pride in Sheffield sometime in the late 1990's; since then there have been:

For several years, an annual one-day LGBT conference in April or May called 'SPRING OUT'.

In 2006 and 2007, there were abortive plans for a Gay pride in Sheffield, which had to be cancelled because of technical problems such as not enough time for organising, difficulty in securing police coverage, absences of crucial committee members, etc. Nevertheless, the monthly meetings for Pride in 2006-7 were well attended, so the concept was sound, and last year, one solitary event which I planned to coordinate with Pride -an art exhibition with a launch party- went ahead, in spite of the terrible weather!

Finally, there has also been every year for several years the 'Viva Climax' a sort of 'mini-pride' organised every July by University of Sheffield Students Union Ents at SUSU on Glossop Road/Western Bank.

Archived