Wedding dresses - all dress talk here!

I liked Blushes as well. Personally I was disappointed by Blissful Daze thought their dresses were quite dirty and was limited to trying on 5 which is fine if you have any idea what suits you!

I have not yet found my dress but have an appointment here http://www.bridalbasement.co.uk/ which is further afield in Liverpool but is apparently excellent, I will report back on Saturday.

Rachel

It's my 2yr anniversary today and I got my dress from Blushes, they were fantastic! I found pronuptia to be really stuck up especially when I said I wanted to keep it under £1000. Blushes however helped me no end, I had an idea what style I wanted after trawling through the magazines for months, the lady in there said she'd get me one like the one I had in mind to try on and one that she thought would look great on me. I tried them both on and as soon as I slipped on the one that she chose I knew straight away it was "the one"! And it was half price too!!

I can't reccomend the girls there enough.

Good luck finding "the one"

before buying anything online, i would take your friend and go round all the wedding shops and try on all the dresses you like. you might find that what you had in your head doesnt actually fit you right.

When i got married i thought i would never wear a puffy dress but when i went round the shops and tried them on, they were lovely!!!! you must try before you buy!!!

Blushes all the way - I echo what the others have said!

It was the first shop that I went in, and although i did visit about 4 more, I returned to Blushes and ordered my dress from there. They've got an excellent choice and can work most things to your budget. They also asked me what sort of budget I had so it was a relief that I wasn't going to be shown dresses I just couldn't afford.

Zoe in there is fab - tells you what she thinks (Ie doesn't say you look lovely in everything if you know what i mean) - they also pick dresses out for you - much better than having to trawl through dresses yourself

Oops forgot tosay - another good one - further out is Limelight Occasions, near Huddersfield - didn't find the one there, but ladies lovely and lots of choice - probably bit more limited on the cheaper range of dresses though

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend Blissful Daze and especially Mandy. Quality dresses and excellent service Mandy will tell you if the dress looks right or not and is very honest - can't sing her praises enough. Pronuptia haven't got a clue about customer service and the dresses are quite old fashioned. A friend of mine got her dress from Blushes and it wasn't fitted properly - when I went in there they didn't let me pick the dresses and the assistants came accross as very false. Good Luck with finding the dress !

I didn't like Blushes, the ladies were lovely but all I wanted to do was have a look through the dresses and see if a dress caught my eye, they pick a dress after giving you a short 'interview'... I found the best place was New York Bride at Eckington, all dresses are to buy (Samples and end of line new dresses), various styles/sizes and Victoria is lovely, no pressure at all and she stores the dress until you want it, also recommends a good seamstress if the dress doesn't fit properly.. and the best bit, all dresses are under £500!! :thumbsup::clap::thumbsup:

Although I got THE dress for me in Debenhams, I am looking for bridesmaids dresses now.

Zoe in Blushes was brilliant & so very helpful.

Wedding Days in Woodseats are fantastic they have an on site seamstress who can put you in a dress, pin you up , add a few bits and it looks like a new dress.

New York Bridal in Eckington ( where i live ) is amazing and have a whole range to cover all tastes and budgets,

The Co-op in Chesterfield is also really good and ready to give advice and finally Lady Fair in Matlock excellent also with in house seamstress on hand.

As for the "COUTURE "/ "TRENDY " places , if you are on a budget forget it, they are not that helpful at all,Berketex Brides wanted me to buy a long length strapless dress so they could charge £100 to take it up & add straps and the dress was £250 to start with. Dunno why they could not show me a short dress with straps to start with!! Good luck to all brides this year. hope your day is special and magical. I am getting married for the 2nd time next year and i will be 50 too. I cant wait.

Edited by BIG - EL
missed a line

Hi all,

I bought a dress online from a chinese wholesalers and it arrived...and it was awful! Upset but thinking i'd have to make do, i had it taken in 4 inches but it still didn't fit right and i felt rubbish. Sooo acting like a bit of a hormonal wreck, i had a paddy, thought about my options and decided to try and find a low priced dress. I had to look the best on my big day!

I took a trip to New York Bride in Eckington (they do designer dresses at cut price) and not feeling very hopeful walked in to try on dresses. As soon as i walked in Victoria (the owner) treated me like a queen, helping me choose the right dress for me.

Not once did she pressurise me to overspend and 10 dress try-ons later and two cups of coffee i found 'the one' it is beautiful!

I did overspend though but i wanted sparkle and she threw in a free veil so i feel less guilty lol. The dress was £420 and she capped the alterations at £30 - the dress she said was worth more like £1500-£2000!

So this is just a post to give 10/10 to New York Bride - thank you Victoria!

I cannot wait to wear my dress :D