Pitsmoor in the Thirties and Forties.

Texas

Hi there, I remember Pitsmoor before the redevelopment, I lived on Sorby Street, opposite the Albion Pub next yard to Jo Lumbys ice cream maker, any one around from that neck of the woods, I remember Beryl Pass Michael Betts The Collins Famil, the Marriott Family

Hi there, sorry had no contact with them for years and years, think (only think) they might have moved from Sorby Street to some where like Sheffield 5, they lived down the yard by John Heaths funeral directors.my grandfather lived next door to them.

Any very old participants on this thread remember a family called Wardle or perhaps Wardley who lived at the very top of Fowler St? They were some sort of dealers, in what I don't know. Their house was on the left hand side looking down Fowler, had a biggish yard and you could look into it from Pitsmoor Road. Just asking, as I've remembered somebody who was related to them, but they lived in Sussex.

Hi There do you know ponsonby? I cant remember anyone living there only the Cottons ( Fish Folk).Maybe he will answer soon.Anyone else from Petre St

You say you remember the Cottons, My dad was a Cotton, he lived around that area when he was young with his family. Do you know anything about them? My dad died when he was only 47 30 years ago and i know nothing about his background or his bringing up. I would be really intrested in anything you could tell me if its the same family. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nigel my Father was born in Pitsmoor 1912, always said he could remember maids and the big houses in Burngreave Road, when it was 'posh' he said if you as much as looked over the wall into the garden they would shoo you off.I was born on Sorby Street we left in 1954 with the slum clearance, we got a house with a bathroom and running hot water, it was great.

Hi Ponsonby, I think you may remember Walter Wales Arthur Butterworth John Pass Michael Wilkinson Keith McDonald, The Chinese family who either lived on Gower Street or on Clun Street, I knew Jack Booth and Ernest Hall who (I think) lived on Clun Street, do you remember Aggie Whites A corner shop opposite the Gower Pub? The Milk man with a 'club foot' who delivered fresh milk and measured it in little steel measuring jugs. we used to beg a lift to the end of the street sitting in the back of his van with our legs dangling out of the open doors

Archived