Loch Fyne, Now Open! (Old Hanrahans Buliding)

Burnt Stones

the young woman that served us was very, very good, apart from another one that cleared my plate before I'd finished dunking bread into the sauce of my starter!

Food:

Starter: I had sashimi - good fresh piece of salmon, no pink dye....but a very, very small portion, compared to Sushi places (partcularly Wasabibi) at £8...other starters were good, but the overall impression was "well it's ok"

Maybe I should become a 2 bob millionnaire, dye myself orange and Loch Fyne might grow on me (as per prvious thread)!

What sauce do you get with a sashimi starter? Dont tell me you dunk bread in soy sauce??

What sauce do you get with a sashimi starter? Dont tell me you dunk bread in soy sauce??

Well ripsaw, I was so hungry after the tiny portion of salmon, I had little choice! You can't beat a bit of bread with wasabi and soy sauce! I think that's called fusion.

It will not last long at this rate! The food is not up to the standard of other Loch Fynes we have visted.There are some serious areas we have identified,that need attention!

You cannot serve average pub food and charge twice the price for long. Sheffield may not be the "Gourmet" capital of the country,but most Sheffielders aren't fools and do recognise value for money!

It will not last long at this rate! The food is not up to the standard of other Loch Fynes we have visted.There are some serious areas we have identified,that need attention!

You cannot serve average pub food and charge twice the price for long. Sheffield may not be the "Gourmet" capital of the country,but most Sheffielders aren't fools and do recognise value for money!

- what are you on about?

It's not even been open two weeks.

Average pub food, and you say you have been to other Loch Fynes?

Jesus - get a grip and give it time.

p.s. in it's first two weeks it will probably have every General Manager and every head chef of loch fyne working there.

You will also see empty tables - its called a smooth opening.

Spot the sheffield accent in there too - hard due to the fact every other person will be help drafted in.

Your such an ignorant bunch of diners on here.

Get yourselves down to one of the all you can eat chinese buffets you rave on about or some real ale pub or something.

Give it time? The point is, people don't want to know about and frankly don't care about how long it takes for waiting staff or the chef to find their feet, they quite legitimately expect to go there the day it opens and enjoy professional service - they are, after all, paying for it and Loch Fyne is not exactly unfamiliar with the restaurant business.

Must be nearly 4 years of 'smooth opening' at Dam House now JD? Any plans to get rid of those cooking oil drums off the flat roof when the snow's gone?

- what are you on about?

p.s. in it's first two weeks it will probably have every General Manager and every head chef of loch fyne working there.

Spot the sheffield accent in there too - hard due to the fact every other person will be help drafted in.

Get yourselves down to one of the all you can eat chinese buffets you rave on about or some real ale pub or something.

And if - in light of all the points you've raised above - people are still unhappy, then they have some serious issues to address.

Not quite sure what to make of your comment on real ale pubs - rather visit a pub with character than a bar which looks like Linda Barker designed the interior!

- what are you on about?

I can't believe that you can, in a previous post, actively encourage people to give it a try and then dismiss their opinions in another when they have tried it? How does that work exactly? You also (referring to your post above) seem to be saying that we should support this venture while it sorts itself out. Well I'm sorry but I only eat out a couple of times a month and can't afford to have a mediocre experience, why on earth should I? I've been involved in enough catering businesses to know what I am talking about and have never expected anyone to put up with second best just because 'we've just opened and no one knows the ropes'. I have been to two Loch Fyne restaurants though not the one in Sheffield, and had strictly average experiences in both. To be honest I think the menu is poorly thought out.

£14 for 4 scallops?! Jesus! :o

I was looking forwards to a fish restaurant too. :(

Mind, I've never yet been to a fish restaurant away from the coast that was any good. Or reasonable in price. If you want scallops you'll get them in the Crown in Portpatrick for a fraction of that price, fresh off a boat and in Scotland's seafood pub of the year. :love:

Archived