Loch Fyne, Now Open! (Old Hanrahans Buliding)

Burnt Stones

You seem to be promoting Loch Fyne almost as vigorously as Dam House Jackdanny - do you have a vested interested in Loch Fyne by any chance?

- what are you on about?

It's not even been open two weeks.

Average pub food, and you say you have been to other Loch Fynes?

Jesus - get a grip and give it time.

Perhaps if you say £14 for a 'quartet' of scallops that makes it easier to come to terms with?

...no.

Well you could sell anything in a restaurant if you make it sound foreign couldn't you? ;) I bet they'd even spell Spamiola Pan Fritte or Le Pointelle Dicque.*

* Yeah, Spanglish at it's best. I did German at school :D

£14 for 4 scallops?! Jesus! :o

I was looking forwards to a fish restaurant too. :(

Mind, I've never yet been to a fish restaurant away from the coast that was any good. Or reasonable in price. If you want scallops you'll get them in the Crown in Portpatrick for a fraction of that price, fresh off a boat and in Scotland's seafood pub of the year. :love:

The first time we visited,my wife was served 6 scallops,but on our second visit was served only 4....................a 33%

portion reduction after only a week!..........£3.50 a scallop !! I won't go on about the lobster episode,or the frozen deep fried breaded squid. Just seems a shame that the original owners have sold out to a pub group! I don't think they would be happy with what we have experienced so far.The 11 quid for 2 courses daytime menu seems to be pitched about right for the standard on offer!

I don't think that's fair theripsaw. There are one or two establishments that consistently enjoy rave reviews when mentioned. There are plenty of folk who understand what is good and what is bad and they simply express those views here.

The establishments that are the restaurant equivalent of the Emperor's New Clothes are soon rumbled by SF'ers.

I have to agree with some of the posts on here but i had a great time when I went. We are not talking Rick Stein but I thought it was fair.

Saying that, they should not blame it on teething problems. If you are not ready, then you should not open your doors to the paying public until you get it spot on.

Went with my wife on Sat night.

Had a great night & lovely food.

Very light and nicely done out inside.

Loads of tables but only about half full.

Good music on and a good atmosphere.

I had Smoked Haddock Chowder which was delicious and almost a meal in itself followed by Fillets of Sea Bream with garlic mash.

Fillets were very large and perfectly cooked.

Mash was a large portion and very tasty.

No other vegetables came with it though.

My wife had queen scallops to start (off specials board) and 2 oysters then she had mussells for main which were a very generous portion and no unopened ones . She said they were tasty and not gritty at all.

We also had a side salad , some chips (which were very good) , bottle of water and Astrolabe Sauvignon Blanc.

On waiters recommendation we had a slice of Lemon cheesecake which was not nice at all. 2 bites each and we left the rest .

Told waiter we didnt like it and he went to get the manageress who appeared immediately , apologised , took offending pud away and insisted she give us a slice of chocolate orange tart.

She brought us this herself and it was lovely . Didnt charge us for that.

I had a very good espresso too.

Service was very friendly and personal , food came quickly.

Taking out the wine & water , food came to £ 45 which I think is quite reasonable.

No complaints apart from lack of veg and pudding and would definitely go back.

No ten bob millionaires or orange tans in sight.

The place wasn't in the slightest bit snobby.

I suggest people on this forum give it a whirl before posting denigrating comments.

Archived