Loch Fyne, Now Open! (Old Hanrahans Buliding)

Burnt Stones

Good review Skinner! My parents went yesterday and seemed to enjoy it too - good food and service and reasonably priced. Although I suspect you've hit the nail on the head - the people on this forum would rather slate it than try it; just look at the hammering the Walnut Club received before anyone had even been...

Went with my wife on Sat night.

Had a great night & lovely food.

Very light and nicely done out inside.

Loads of tables but only about half full.

Good music on and a good atmosphere.

I had Smoked Haddock Chowder which was delicious and almost a meal in itself followed by Fillets of Sea Bream with garlic mash.

Fillets were very large and perfectly cooked.

Mash was a large portion and very tasty.

No other vegetables came with it though.

My wife had queen scallops to start (off specials board) and 2 oysters then she had mussells for main which were a very generous portion and no unopened ones . She said they were tasty and not gritty at all.

We also had a side salad , some chips (which were very good) , bottle of water and Astrolabe Sauvignon Blanc.

On waiters recommendation we had a slice of Lemon cheesecake which was not nice at all. 2 bites each and we left the rest .

Told waiter we didnt like it and he went to get the manageress who appeared immediately , apologised , took offending pud away and insisted she give us a slice of chocolate orange tart.

She brought us this herself and it was lovely . Didnt charge us for that.

I had a very good espresso too.

Service was very friendly and personal , food came quickly.

Taking out the wine & water , food came to £ 45 which I think is quite reasonable.

No complaints apart from lack of veg and pudding and would definitely go back.

No ten bob millionaires or orange tans in sight.

The place wasn't in the slightest bit snobby.

I suggest people on this forum give it a whirl before posting denigrating comments.

Errr! some of us have tried it(twice in fact) and got a different result to you,although would agree with some of your comments.

However,how much was your bill with wine and water and veg if you had taken it? We usually comment on the overall bill to be fair.We think the wine overpriced for what is basically catering trade wine(you won't be able to price it up in any shops) but in fairness,most restaurants flog their own label wines,some ok but most boring! and at £14 to £20 odd quid a bottle well...........!

We think the wine overpriced for what is basically catering trade wine(you won't be able to price it up in any shops) but in fairness,most restaurants flog their own label wines,some ok but most boring! and at £14 to £20 odd quid a bottle well...........!

Restaurants deliberately dont sell wines that can be found in supermarkets for that exact reason. Just because it can be bought in Sainsburys or tesco for £3.95 doesnt mean that a restaurant can sell it at that price. By not having supermarket recognisable labels it stops the feeling of people thinking they are overpaying, even though they may not be when you start to take in to account overheads of running a restaurant and the buying pwer that the supermarkets have.

Restaurants deliberately dont sell wines that can be found in supermarkets for that exact reason. Just because it can be bought in Sainsburys or tesco for £3.95 doesnt mean that a restaurant can sell it at that price. By not having supermarket recognisable labels it stops the feeling of people thinking they are overpaying, even though they may not be when you start to take in to account overheads of running a restaurant and the buying pwer that the supermarkets have.
Agree with most of what you say! but how is it that certain pub/restaurants around Sheffield selling food on a par with Loch Fyne can sell popular branded wines at only twice the supermarket price, instead of four times the trade price that Loch Fyne are selling their wines at? and please don't ask me to name them ,because there are a number.

Errr! some of us have tried it(twice in fact) and got a different result to you,although would agree with some of your comments.

However,how much was your bill with wine and water and veg if you had taken it? We usually comment on the overall bill to be fair.We think the wine overpriced for what is basically catering trade wine(you won't be able to price it up in any shops) but in fairness,most restaurants flog their own label wines,some ok but most boring! and at £14 to £20 odd quid a bottle well...........!

Bottle of Astrolabe Sauvignon Blanc £ 25.

You can buy online for £ 12.99 so a pretty typical restaurant markup.

http://www.nzhouseofwine.co.uk/product.php?xProd=4820&xSec=95

Was an excellent drop.

£ 3 for water which is typical .

Veg would have been £ 2.50.

All I am saying is we had a great meal & night out and will be going back.

I am very glad we ignored the negative postings on here by people who havent been.

Damn right. Seems odd to criticise somewhere that marks up wine in exactly the same way as all quality restaurants.
As a wine buff of many years,I don't mind paying the price if the quality of wine matches it,the same with the food.

As previously posted We have visited Loch Fynes on numerous occasions in Cambridge and Poole,and found on our two visits to Sheffield,it did not match up to the aforementioned.Whether this is to do with the new owners I am not sure,but we remain dissapointed.

Archived