Which of your teachers inspired you most?

following on from the report thread i was just wondering if any of your tutors inspired you?

i had a tutor called roger tordoff and not only was he a great intelligent man he also inspired me to look at the world in a different light.

i am not sure if he still teaches but i truly feel blessed that he taught me:)

Thinking back to when I was at school, I can honestly only think of one teacher who would be worthy enough to have his name put on this thread. Mr Proctor, my art teacher, had so much patience with his pupils and went out of his way to help out, unfortunately pupils took avantage of his soft nature and the morons used to run riot during his lessons. I was only ever interested in getting on with my work, which says a lot for the teacher, as in most lessons I just wasnt interested.

At King Ted's, 1952 or so, Edgar Vernon, who taught us chemistry and made it exciting and logical. But at Sheffield Uni, the man who taught us organic chem was nowhere near.

I coasted the first term on what I'd learnt from Mr Vernon, but in the second I could not follow the Uni teacher at all; I suspect he was brilliant at research,but a hopeless lecturer.

So I nominate Edgar Vernon, of King Edward VII School.

following on from the report thread i was just wondering if any of your tutors inspired you?

i had a tutor called roger tordoff and not only was he a great intelligent man he also inspired me to look at the world in a different light.

i am not sure if he still teaches but i truly feel blessed that he taught me:)

Mr Simpson (aka bottleneck) was a right git when you got on the wrong side of him but he was a fantastic teacher.

There were others but he stands out as one who really gave a damn.

My English teacher, Lizzie lewis, literally saved my life and is probably the most pivotal person in changing the course of my life. It was she who encouraged my writing, opened my mind to the world in the fantastic classroom discussions, but more than that, she was the first person to ever reach out a helping hand and tell me that I was a great person and that nothing that had gone before was my fault - i was 16. She gave me mini-therapy at her home, and accompanied me to the health centre to change my doctor which was in those days a far harder task than today, especially for a minor. She told me that my best option was to go to University in a big city far away with a scene and lots of like minded people. I was so ignorant I thought Unis were like boarding school and you had to pay thousands of pounds to go (oh how times have changed! :rolleyes:) She told me I had what it took to be a professional writer and I ended up corresponding with Barry Hines of Kes fame, and performing at the Kent Literature Festival. She's why I went exploring for a year and ended up in Sheffield. I dread to think what would have happened if she hadn't intervened when she did, but I can't thank her enough.

It really is incredible the impact one person can have in your formative years. Never turn a blind eye to a troubled child, even the smallest words and tips can set them on a different path and plant seeds in their mind. :)

For me it was my first ever teacher, Mrs Bond at Hunters Bar. She made everything magical, school was like entering a fairytale land of colour and laughter where the imagination and creativity were constantly inspired and she made me feel like I was the most special person in the world!

It really is incredible the impact one person can have in your formative years. Never turn a blind eye to a troubled child, even the smallest words and tips can set them on a different path and plant seeds in their mind. :)

So true.

I've always had a bit of an uneasy relationship with academia (I'm including uni), and lots of love/hate relationships with my teachers, which usually fell down the fault line of 'I love them if they don't teach science or maths.'

I have had some wonderful teachers though. My GCSE drama teacher exploded at us once (c. 1997?) and yelled for about ten minutes about how incredibly depressing it was teaching adolescents who had no cultural frame of reference beyond Friends - he was beyond cool. We LOVED him. He let us down by marrying the head girl later on though.

My A level English teacher, Mrs. Brown, was also amazing. When I was 18 I was adamant that I wasn't going to go to uni, to the general raised eyebrows of everyone, but Mrs. B just told me to do whatever I wanted to do. And quietly pointed out that her own English degree had come from the OU...

Honorouable mention also to my A Level Politics teacher. He was rabidly anti-Thatcher, a member of the Soil Association, and made learning about civil service reforms miraculously interesting. He also saw no reason why some of the class shouldn't take extra lessons and finish the course early, so I spent the last six months of college finishing off my other two A levels at a nice leisurely pace. Thank you, Mr. T.

I really believe that a good teacher is an absolute gift to any child or young person; unfortunately, opposite applies to the bad ones.

Mr Kearns, English teacher up at Gleadless Valley. Top bloke, even forgave me having a pop at him (verbally) one time.. Sadly he's no longer with us, poor bloke topped himself a few years back apparently.

My dad. He gave me a passion for music, taught me to play and was always patiently helpful if there was something i didn't understand. He still is. 25 years of hard work and encouragement have paid off. I reckon i'm quite good now.:)

Archived