Which of your teachers inspired you most?

Sadly I cant remember her name but a teacher at Southey School when I was about six encouraged me to write instead of just read. I was reading books by authors such as Edgar Allen Poe and H.G. Wells even at that age but she encouraged me to actually write.

The other teachers just thought I was wierd because of the books I read.

I think it was our English teacher Miss Jones. She used to take us on 'trips to the University' aka shopping trips.

She was also a very large lady and had the misfortune to win a gigantic easter egg in some raffle one year. She had to collect it in assembly to a chant of 'JONESY, JONESY', poor woman :hihi: could always take a joke though!

My P.E teacher. Mr Turnball @ Wisewood. I hated P.E throughout school. Then in year 11 as our group wasn't doing GCSE P.E he was more interested in us doing coursework/revision. I have to say I LOVED P.E lessons then. He gave us great advice on our futures too. As he was young, and had been at uni only a few years beforehand he told us all about it. He was more on 'our' level than other teachers. He's probably a forumer to be honest...!

What an inspirational post from purdyamos!

Mr K (a Polish fellow with a totally unprounceable name and one I was always incapable of spelling correctly) was my maths teacher in my final year at secondary school. He was convinced that I could learn maths, despite my always coming last in class for three consecutive years.

Every day I had to do maths homework. The first set was 1+1 = ?; 1 + 2 = ?; 2 + 1 = ?; 2+ 2 = ?, and so forth. It was embarrassing for a 14-year old to be given this homework, but Mr K, had a wonderful personality and he convinced me that it was necessary homework.

What I didn't appreciate was this homework was being set to find where my blockages in maths were occuring. Eventually, it turned out to be long division and substraction in pounds, shillings and pence. With minimal personal tuition, he helped me overcome these blockages.

He spurred me on and on. Eventually I was engrossed in algebra and trigonometry. Come the final year 4 exam, instead of being placed last in class, I was third from top.

I dislike maths to this day, and have no interest in the subject at all. But what Mr K gave to me was far more precious than an ability to do complicated sums. What Mr K gave to me as a 14 year old lad was a self recognition that I wasn't 'thick' after all, and a life-long confidence that holds true for me to this day - nearly forty years on - that with the right tuition, you can learn about any subject.

Thank you Mr K.

the teachers who had the most impact on me were almost exclusively the ones who taught me English and drama, starting with Mr West at Birley Spa, Mrs Atkin and Mr Woodward at Brookhouse, and then Miss Clarke, Miss Gaunt ( a.k.a.Mrs Feinberg), Mr Stocks and Mr milner , and most of all, Mrs Jones and Mr Roe, all at Carter Lodge, they brought out the vfery best in me both academically, and I like to think as a person, and I owe them a HUGE debt of gratitude.

They were all fabulous and wherever they are, I wish them well.

I'd go for Mr Swindells*, the PE teacher, if only for the reason that he left his wife and ran off with an 18 year old sixth former, despite the fact he was 52 himself at the time.

It was, and still is, an inspiration to know that even when you're in your fifties, it's possible to attract women young enough to be your daughter!

* - Not his real name.

• 4 years later...

It was only the other day that i was thinking about an old school teacher that i much respected, well to be honest, i dont actually think he was a teacher, he had his own garage and used to come to the school once a week and teach car maintenance, he was an ex army type of bloke and he always looked very smart with his jumper tucked in his trousers..

I was talking to him one day whilst in the process of wrecking one of his engines with a spanner that was way too big..and i asked him if he had ever shot anyone or been shot whilst he was serving in Palestine, and he told me a story about how someone once took a shot at him whilst on duty, and he chased after him, and that he wouldnt shoot the guy in the back as it just wasnt done, after a while the said gunman turned round and took a bullet to the chest from his Royal Enfield rifle. as a young 15 year old i was mightily impressed with the bloke, but for the life of me i cant remember his name :huh:

this was Swinton about 1977, so if anyone remembers, please let me know:)

Archived