Organ Donation - Have you signed up?

I've got my donor card on me whenever I go out but I've had it for years so I've just signed up again just in case.

When I'm dead they can take whatever they like and give the rest of me to medical students to play with.

well done xxxx lets try and keep this thread up the top of the list xxxxxxx

A group of employees from Hillfoot Steel Group Ltd in Sheffield have formed a team to attempt a World Record for the longest badminton match in July 2008, and in doing so will raise funds for Transplant Sport UK and The Children's Heart Surgery Fund in Leeds.

The event will be held at Sheffield Works Department Sports and Social Club in July 2008.

We are currently looking for sponsors of the event and also volunteers to help run the event. (Stewards, witnesses, doctors, nurses etc)

If you can help in any way, please visit badmintonathon (.com) and associated links and register your support.

Remember, transplants save lives. Help someone to live after your death by joining the NHS Organ Donor Register.

Many thanks

I think (but not very often) that you should have to sign out of organ donation, not sign in. Don't think mine will be any good anyway (too well preserved )

i agree but before you can sign out you should visit a few hospitals and see babies/children,men and women who are desparatly in need of organs

im sure you would re think

There's a little bit of me that believes that people who refuse to give blood and to consider donation of organs when they've gone should face a really tough choice if and when they ever need a blood transfusion or transplant to save their lives.

I have yet to meet anybody (other than those who disagree with transfusions on religious grounds) who wouldn't expect blood products to be available in the event that their children were involved in an accident and needed a transfusion.

All of those blood products and organs come from volunteers. If you'd want it to be available should you or your loved ones need it, shouldn't you be thinking about playing your part in keeping the stocks going?

I think that people that sign up are very brave - it's not something I would do, although, of course, I would love to get an organ donation if I ever needed one.

Does that sound selfish? Perhaps it is. The big problem for me is that in most cases the donor is technically alive when the organs are harvested, albeit with use of a ventilator. A doctor could say a person was dead, but nobody knows what that person feels in their last moments.

The recipient of course is anaesthetised for their operation; the donor isnt.

It's just too scary for me to contemplate.

There's some info here on the subject.

https://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/how_to_become_a_donor/questions/answers/answers_3.jsp#q8

I signed up when i was a kid. My mum and dad know what i want to do and said that even though they don't want to sign up as a donor (i tried to persuade them but alas i failed) they would respect my wishes if the time ever came. iIm a blood donor too.

I work in a hospital blood transfusion lab and its great to see we can give people what they need when they need it. The only time we've ever had a refusal was on religious grounds. Its a shame life isn't so simple with organs. Its horrible to think how awful it must be to wait for an organ and never knowing whether you'll get on on time. It was enough to make me sign up when i was a kid. Get signing up

Archived