Little sisters of the poor

roughy101

i found him in the 1891 census living in upper oborne st sheffield,but on his sons marriage certificate in 1899 he was deceased so i know he died beetween 1891/1899 i also know that in 1891 his son thomas was sent away to some sort of naughty boys school for begging, so the family were very poor.

Originally posted by roughy101

i am wanting records or photos for around 1891 little sisters of the poor east rd sheffield, my grt/grtgrandad died there between 1889 and1891.

well the good old forumers help once again, just spoken to sister mary channtellat the above charity,who has told me all the admissions books for sheffield little sister are in london and if i send her the details she will do some research for me sothanks for the suggestion.:clap: :clap: :clap:

What a good result for you roughy, I thougt the nuns had disbanded but seems they are still around.

My Mom went round the house while they ere still running it and said it was a lovely place to live.

hazel

When I was at school we went there at Christmas and went to the wards and sang carols to the residents ... I can't remember it that clearly but I seem to think that the proceeds of the "Fancy Fair" sale of work we had in the summer went towards gifts for the residents at Christmas and they were dispensed as we sang to them.

It was like a hospital ward with high beds in two rows along the walls. All these old people looking at us ... I couldn't sing properly as my throat was closed up cos I wanted to cry ... I felt so sorry for them, but my mother told me they were happy and very lucky to be there and so well taken care of. But I still worried about my granny ending up there ... :(

ps roughy was a long time after 1891 though - honest!!! :P

The exact location of the Little Sisters of the Poor is now St. Elizabeth Close. This is located off Heeley Bank Road, just above Olive Grove bus depot. St Elizabeth Close was built in 1986, and is a housing complex run by South Yorkshire Housing Association.

Within the Close, there is an original plaque retained in a boundary wall, which reads -

JMJ

Blessed by the Right Rev Joseph R Cowgill

Coadjutor Bishop of Leeds

Laid by the

Lady Edmund Talbot

9th. of April 1907

For Christ in his aged poor

On the opposite side of the road is the Olive Grove Streetforce council depot. A plaque on the wall by the bus shelter records the history of this site as the original Sheffield Wednesday football ground 1887-1899. The club joined the Football League in 1892, winning the FA Cup "for the first time for Yorkshire" in 1896. Winger Fred Spiksley "the Olive Grove Flyer" scored both goals. The grounds were acquired by the Midland Railway Line.

just received an email fom sister channtell,little sisters of the poor in london,

she says she has looked at the records for sheffield and cannot find anything for george howson,she also said the home only catered for people over the age of 65yr,so he would have been too young,drawn a blank im afraid, thanks for everyones help.:(

Archived