Little sisters of the poor

roughy101

Thanks for that Red Robbo, just had a read through it. Very informative. May book some time at the Archive to see if I can root out some photographs. I can also add that it had it's own church and that a bomb dropped toward the back of the site during WW2 where the Olive Grove bus depot is. No casualties were reported thankfully. If you walk up Heeley Bank rd on the left hand side you can still see the old gatehouse with a sliding door facing the street. The nuns would sit inside and slide the door open when a member of the public came with alms in the form of clothing, food, money etc.

Thanks for that Red Robbo, just had a read through it. Very informative. May book some time at the Archive to see if I can root out some photographs. I can also add that it had it's own church and that a bomb dropped toward the back of the site during WW2 where the Olive Grove bus depot is. No casualties were reported thankfully. If you walk up Heeley Bank rd on the left hand side you can still see the old gatehouse with a sliding door facing the street. The nuns would sit inside and slide the door open when a member of the public came with alms in the form of clothing, food, money etc.

I didn't know that! How very interesting.

I live on Heeley Bank Road, opposite where the convent stood. I moved here about 18 years ago, but the housing complex had already been built on the site by then.

Archived