Charles Keyworth / The New Patent Plastic Brick Company

retep, you're a brick! :) Dare I think that you are not just asking whether the picture is any good (actually, it's GREAT!), but in fact whether the brick itself is? If so: it's just exactly what I covet. I suppose it's not 'done' to reveal one's email address on the Forum; but I would go to that length, iff there was a possibility of setting up a transer of the brick.

Meanwhile: where does that brick come from? Parson Cross? Any more specific data?

• 1 month later...

I was looking for bricks inscribed with the maker's name, Keyworth, and retep wrote:

I think you may find one in the Parson Cross area where they have been knocking down, i'm sure some of the old walls were Keyworth bricks, look around the open spaces.

It's been a while, but I spent the better part of Good Friday morning enjoyably out in the bright sunshine (and in the strong winds) traipsing around the (surprisingly vast) demolition areas in Parson X. It is indeed a veritable open air brick mine out there. Unfortunately, I found no Chas. Keyworth ones.

retep: While out there, I did collect the brick you left out for me; thanks again. Since I did not find any in Parson X, it becomes the more important to properly document its origin: are you willing to let me know where you found it?

I was looking for bricks inscribed with the maker's name, Keyworth, and retep wrote:

It's been a while, but I spent the better part of Good Friday morning enjoyably out in the bright sunshine (and in the strong winds) traipsing around the (surprisingly vast) demolition areas in Parson X. It is indeed a veritable open air brick mine out there. Unfortunately, I found no Chas. Keyworth ones.

retep: While out there, I did collect the brick you left out for me; thanks again. Since I did not find any in Parson X, it becomes the more important to properly document its origin: are you willing to let me know where you found it?

That particular one was from Deerlands Avenue, but they are not around in any quantity, wonder if they were used in repair work.

That particular one [brick inscribed KEYWORTH] was from Deerlands Avenue, but they are not around [in Parson X] in any quantity, wonder if they were used in repair work.

I guess the plausibility of the latter scenario depends on when the houses in Parson X now demolished were first built, something I have no clue about. Chas. Keyworth seems to have been out of business by 1916. Would the houses now demolished have been extant at all, let alone old enough to be needing repairs, by 1916?

• 1 month later...

Hi

While gardening today I found a brick amongst a pile at the bottom of our garden in Crookes, there are numerous types of brick, but so far only one keyworth.

(If you PM me your e-mail address I will reply with pictures)

The brick is imprinted:-

CHAS KEYWORTH

WADSLEY BRIDGE

Hi

While gardening today I found a brick amongst a pile at the bottom of our garden in Crookes, there are numerous types of brick, but so far only one keyworth.

(If you PM me your e-mail address I will reply with pictures)

The brick is imprinted:-

CHAS KEYWORTH

WADSLEY BRIDGE

Well well, all the way out in Crookes! One has the impression that in the period Chas was active, turn of 19-20 centuries, presumably because of transport (or rather the lack of same), bricks tended to be (even) more local. Of course, one brick at the bottom of one's garden, it may be a 'stray', having ended up there only the god of bricks knows how.

Numerous types?! Have you seen my new thread, 'Klondyke'? Any Klondyke / W.J. Patchett / G. Beaumont / Daniel Doncaster (= D D with a 'lozenge' in between)?

I do not even know what PM means (private message?), let alone how to do it. I'd lovethe pix; would you instruct me about PM, please, or refer me to the instructions?

Thanks.

Hi

If you click on my user name it will give you the opportunity to send me a private message if you send me a private message with your actual e-mail address on then i can reply and attach the pictures.

Mark

• 5 months later...

Thought you might be interested that the dividing walls between the privies and coal sheds in my garden in Grenoside (house built c.1906) were all Chas Keyworth. I've a few hundred in the garden still if you're interested.

Yep, yabetcha, v. interested; especially if there's different forms and shapes among them - but even if not. Not all of them "few hundred", tho' :-) It so happens I'll be back in Sheffield at the end of this week (I do not live there permanently), so we can arrange for some set-up for me to collect them.

Thanks!

Archived