Get rid of mouth ulcers?

Does anyone know any way to get rid of mouth ulcers other than bongela or rinsing mouth with salt water?

I've got some at the back of my mouth near my throat and they're REALLY painful, I've tried to call the doctors today as I've had them for days and days with no luck trying to get rid of them :( but there seems to be something wrong with my local doctors number since it changed to this new 0845 number, and I dont have time in the next few days to just pop up and wait...

I cant use bongela cus its painful and makes me gag putting my fingers so far back, and gargling salt water is gonna make me spew :(

thanks for any useful reply's, its painful to swallow and eating anything salty REALLY hurts, I think I've got more than I can see, but you ever tried looking down your own throat with a torch in your hand? its not easy... lol

boots do this treatment kinda like 'bonjela once' which absolutely kills when you apply it but it covers the ulcer and kills it quickly. Its like a cotton bud that you dab on your ulcer- it absolutely kills when you apply it though thats the downside but after that its worth it and your ulcers wont bother you at all.

Does anyone know what causes the ulcers I occasionally get on the roof of my mouth - certain foods cause them, but they go in about 10 mins or so, though they are painful for the few minutes they are there. Never heard of 10 min ulcers from anyone else, I keep getting told they can't be ulcers but they sure look anmd feel like ulcers.

Could they be blisters rather than ulcers?

By far the best treatment (and relief!) for mouth ulcers is Adcortyl in Orabase. I have used this for years and recommended it to lots of people and everyone has agreed that it is amazing.

There's only one problem, the manufacturer has recently discontinued production for "commercial reasons" so it is no longer available either on prescription (the 10g size) or over the counter (the 5g size).

This product is so good that it is almost a crime to withdraw it - so I am asking everyone who has used, or would use Adcortyl to contact the manufacturer by email, telephone or snail mail to ask them to bring it back. I have written and emailed them myself but the power is in numbers, the more of us that contact them the more likely they are to bring Adcortyl back.

Please write or email them - and spread the word as far and wide as you can!

The contact details are:

E R Squibb & Sons Limited

Uxbridge Business Park

Sanderson Road

Uxbridge

Middlesex UB8 1DH

Phone: +44 (0)1895 523 000

Fax: +44 (0)1895 523 010

Medical Information direct line: +44 (0)1895 523 740

Medical Information facsimile: +44 (0)1895 523 677

Medical Information e-mail: Medical.information@bms.com

My husband has suffered with these mouth ulcers for years and was prescribed this cream which he thinks is brilliant.

Unfortunately it has now been discontinued and his doctor can only recommend Bongela Igloo, which she says is not as good but is probably the best thing he is going to get now, she even trawled through her medical books to see if she could get anything similar but no luck.

He hasn't needed to try it yet, so I can't say how good (or not) it is.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Xafier, even though this post has been posted since 2004, I'd like to share a little everything you need to know about ulcer.

You think you have it hard with 1 or 2 ulcer? That's nothing. Try 4. On all sides of the tongue and 2 at the tip of your elbows.

You get ulcer because ( No I don't really think it's coz of stress )

1. what you have been eating

2. what you have been doing with your tongue ;) (nah it's not vaginas)

3. lick germs with your tongue, like blood in the mouth, or particularly eating your snot.

P.S. Even if you cured it using products like bonjela to cure it, that doesn't mean it won't reappear again or even somewhere else

Moving on,

How to cure:

Which product/ way is best or worse?

1. Try having salt of your hands and dab a pinch of salt on one of your fingers and then dab on your tongue where the ulcer is. Yes. it can be VERY painful if you have mistakenly use this. :( After that, rinse it with normal water. You can choose to drink it or spit it, either way doesn't matter.

2. Adcortyl,

3. Anbesol,

4. Bongela (works occasionally)

Another semi-useful way on curing ulcer on the tongue would be:

Use your toothbrush and make sure you have applied toothpaste on it.

Move it gently on your tongue and make it seem like a tickleto-the-tung.

P.S. for the above to work usefully, DO NOT USE COLGATE AS THEY HAVE LOTS OF CHEMICALS, THAT IS WHY IT IS VOTED TO BE THE BEST TEETH-WHITENER!

Do not use Listerine either. Trust me, there are no blue or purple water-dudes who wash your teeth and make your mouth explode.

P.S.S. - Use normal toothpaste like Natural ones you can trust.

Hope this guide has been useful :P

Archived