Leopold Square - wheres good to eat?

manzmanz

went to Aagrah for the first time yesterday. the food was good, although the missus had a very wet kashmiri, and the rice was a bit bland. their draught lager was also a bit flat, and their onion bajhis were like onion rings. however the main issue was the service, we felt very rushed... and the food came out very quickly, there wasn't the usual polite service you expect in a curry house, we were pointed a table when we arrived and 'thank you' and 'good night' wasn't returned when we left. we can understand why people have generally said 'great food, poor service'. I'd happily go back there again but if it was my choice i'd rather head to Saffron Club for a curry in the city centre.

the reason aagrah's service is fast is because they don't cook anything on-site, its all cooked up in north yorkshire and then ferried down to the various restaurants and heated up to order.

I personally like platillos but they need to get the white bait back on the menu!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love Platillo's. Poppolo's is good and does a really good early evening deal, very good value, also their potato skins come in a massive bucket and are delicious. Wagamama's i good and the service is really bouncy and friendly.

I hated Strada though, expensive and I had one of my worst meals in Sheffield there, also found the staff snotty and unhelpful in describing what dishes were.

I hated Strada though, expensive and I had one of my worst meals in Sheffield there, also found the staff snotty and unhelpful in describing what dishes were.

I've eaten in Strada about half a dozen times and have enjoyed it every time.

The staff have been superb, to the point where I even told them that they'd looked after our crowd very well. My only argument is the way that a gratuity is already added to the bill; this should be at the customer's discretion (and of course, I pointed this out to them too).

Otherwise, not a bad meal or experience whether it be the two of us or a large group. And it's not expensive at all if you ask me.

Finally, Popolo's is my favourite bar in the square. Their Lindeboom might be £3.50 a pint but I've managed to get hold of a 25% discount card which makes it even better!:banana::banana::banana:

the reason aagrah's service is fast is because they don't cook anything on-site, its all cooked up in north yorkshire and then ferried down to the various restaurants and heated up to order.

Do you have anything to back that up with? As far as I can see, they have a big kitchen and bang on about their dedicated master chefs.

A curry re-heated is quite easy to pick up on too.

• 2 months later...

Ate in Zizzi's after a meeting, today.

Was extremely disappointed.

The Calzone wasn't horrendous-bad, but the salad was dire, mangy, brown and slimy. With very dry sliced cherry tomatoes. (Which showed the salad had been standing around too long already.)

When pointed out to the waiter, he was a bit snotty, and sneer-y and tried to make out it was my fault, and that it was natural that the leaves should be stale and dry. Apparently it's the way it comes, the salad is fresh, daily (lol lol yeah, right)and it can't be helped where the leaves snap...

(like eh? WTF? Stale is stale!!! Isn't it? :wow: and yeah, funnily enough, I DID come down in the last shower of rain!)

I was as unimpressed with his patronising attitude as I was with the not-great food. The young lady who did some of the waitressing to our table was very nice, and personable, I have to say.

I shan't be bothering going there again, anyway. You know the saying? "You never get a second chance to make a first impression!"

Archived