The Moon pub (formerly The Office)

Andy C

Its in Upperthorpe just round from Infirmary Rd Tescos. Half is older building with a 60s style extension. In the past its just looked like a pretty dodgy estate pub selling Carling and other poor quality drinks. Promising to see Abbeydale taking over, its in a good location on the "Valley of Beer" circuit. Since taking over the Rising Sun in Fulwood Abbeydale Brewery have done an excellent job putting on 10 handpumed real ales and 9 continental beers and lagers. I would imagine a similar model will be applied to the Office (or the Moon as it to be)!

Hope it's true - that would be great news. The Rising Sun is fantastic - but very different local area to the Office, so it would be interesting to see how it did.

I've never been in any of those pubs round the 'town centre' bit of Upperthorpe. But I'd make the effort if there was at least one good reason to visit the area.

The Sheffield Telegraph has reported that the Moon opens today (Friday 25th May). It will operate on a similar principle to the Rising Sun. It's all non-smoking, has a range of 10 real ales along with continental beers.

It's on Upperthorpe Road, just up the hill from the Tescos on Infirmary Road.

Called in tonight and its looking good - 10 hand pumps, 9 of which were on tonight (mostly session beers), four of which were Abbeydale.

Lots of work to be done including the huuuge function room, outside pillars and replacing the 'Office' signs, but looks like lots of potential.

A very friendly welcome from the landlord Richard who was quick to come over and make us feel at home.

Will be back soon! :)

Been in myself now, great potential. Now stocking 6 Abbeydale beers plus four others making a whopping 10 in total. In addittion they have 5 lagers / biers (no Stella or Carling rubbish mind) and a large selection of bottled continental biers.

Its certainly could become an excellent pub. The main 1820 / 1830s building is sizeable enough and being near the old infirmary (now NHS offices) there may be lunchtime trade potential. The function room to the rear is massive (could hold 200 people!) and the landlord plans for events and music but not necessarily private hire as the norm. I can't think of many other decent pubs with such a large addittional space. Problem is that the flat roof above leaks like a sieve so that requires attention before it can be used. Both new landlord and landlady very friendly so hope this does take off. On another plus side is the terrace at the front with ample seating to soak up evening sunshine.

Archived