The Moon pub (formerly The Office)

Andy C

but i just love moonshine, matins absolution etc!

Not exactly uncommon in Sheffield though. Absolution is a reasonable beer, although a lot of Abbeydale's other beers just seem to be Moonshine brewed at the wrong gravity (by mistake), except of course their rather lovely Black Mass. :)

Due to the really over the top prices!

Moonshine now £2.40 a pint,which just isn't worth the money.

This now makes it the most expensive pub on the real ale trail.

It just doesn't make any sense when try to establish a new pub business along side the likes of the 'new' wellington(cask&cutler) and the new relaunched George IV and other thriving pubs on the circuit.

A notice on the bar claims that due to increased production costs that real ale at the pump will have have a price increase of on average of 20p per pint!

Well, I reckon this will signal the end of The Moon,punters just won't fork out that amount of money, when they can spend at the other 'ale trail' pubs and get more for their money.

It's never been that busy to start with,so the price increase will hardly help matters,will it?

I'm sorry to post this 'cause we all looked forward to another addition to the 'ale trail' ; but alas I think this just won't work out in the long term.

Its a shame but I'm not surprised. :(

It was nice to sit out the front in the summer but other than that I don't think they can really compete with the more established ale houses. I do wish them well however, and hope to call by in the warmer months when I don't have to sit inside.

What do u think Meaks? We go in the same pubs(often at the same time!)It just doesn't add up when there is the Kelham Island Tavern & Fat Cat in one direction and The Hillsboro Hotel and Rawson Spring in the opposite direction!(not even mentioning the 99p ale shop!) :surprised

• 2 months later...

It's makes for a good live music venue but the ales they've had on have usually been characterless. Either that or they're badly kept. Most of the barstaff are disinterested and lack knowledge of their beer and the drinks are overpriced.

I've been a lot because it's a convenient meeting place for my friends but much better places like The Fat Cat, Kelham Island and The Hillsborough Hotel are nearby.

It's easily the worst real ale pub in Sheffield. It's as if someone who doesn't know what they're doing has taken it on in order to jump on a bandwagon. There's more to running that sort of pub than just making money.

• 3 weeks later...

I would have dropped by this eve but hadn't heard that it was shutting.

Am still curious to find out why it had to shut up shop, I can't envisage Abbeydale making a mis judged investment and trade seemed ok when I had been in.

Perhaps it is just too tucked away off the "Ale circuit" and doesn't attract drinkers from the Upperthorpe neighbourhood? / drinks a little too dear? / cumulative pressures affecting licenced trade? / or something else?

(not even mentioning the 99p ale shop!) :surprised

??? What is this, and where?! I wanna visit!

I live in Upperthorpe, and the Moon's been OK the 3 or so times I've gone there. Nice enough atmosphere, but not very cheap. The food was decent for pub stuff too. Shall be a bit sad to see it go since it's only a few minutes from my house.

Archived