Sick of Leadmill / Kingdom / Gatecrasher

JohnnyBoi

Urban Gorilla is the best club in sheffield at the moment and is getting noticed nationwide and there is always other clubs like-

Razor Stiletto

Planet Zogg

Riddimton (god knows how u spell it)

The best thing to do is to get mixmag- go to the back pages- find a night that takes your fancy and just go for it!!!!!

Originally posted by JohnnyBoi

I'm a student and am getting tired of the endless student nights. Is anyone else? I went to the Shag night at the Leadmill for three weeks running and the exact same songs were played but in a slightly different order. Is this a suprise to anyone? lol. Has anyone got any other clubs to recommend or any club nights that have a more mature open minded audience and the music isn't always the same?

If you want something hard and dirty go to Jackhammer or Headcharge for a bit of acid techno. There are more hard trance sort of nights like Ahead too. Urban Gorilla is much more laid back, and Planet Zogg is a bit of techno/trance. UG and Zogg are both at Zero, as is Razor Stilletto. It's a sad reflection of the lack of decent venues in sheffield that Zero was recently voted 'best club in sheffield' by Exposed magazine.

There's so much to suggest, it just depends on what you like. Personally I'm a techno-nut so don't really keep up to date on other happenings, though if anyone knows of any hard trance nights other than Ahead I'd love to hear from you...

It's a shame Warp don't really do much in Sheffield any more...

Originally posted by Classic Rock

Why not try the Classic Rock Bar? Only open til 11pm I admit, but it's a different type of scene altogether from Kingdom. Live music most nights from local bands and better priced drinks (from £1 a bottle and from £1.50 a pint).

CRB is great too. Like Grapes, they put on lots of music from local bands and, knowing a few people in bands that play there, CRB really help support the local scene.

If only there were a few clubs brave enough to do the same!

JohnnyBoi, there are pleanty of smaller nights being put on all the time, by people who love every bit of support you can give. The problem is that yer big bulk of students are committed leadmill/mingdom kids. So feel lucky! Get out and about looking at flyposters, get drunk and give something different a try, and you'll soon find what it is that you like. :)

- Shef Uni Concourse is always good for nights up their end, ie. Union Events, Raynor Lounge parties, etc.

- Subways, if you live around town or walk in that way, just keep an eye out

- Shop windows / Laundrys / etc

The luckiest thing you could have is a good mate who wants to wheel you around unknown clubs at 3am, so go find a candidate!

Later :)

p.s. my friend went to Univ Shag too and said it was just horrible.

depends what kind of music your into really

riddimtion and dubcentral are the best for reggae and dub

aural shock, headcharge and zogg i think are best for techno

corporation for abit of cheese sometimes,but monday night is alright

the tuesday club is one of the better nights right now it think,hip hop drum n bass and alittle mix of other things to.

the scene has sort of died for the winter but im sure when spring comes around there will be plenty to do,but as iffy said just look out for posters,if someone doesnt rip em down

If you're into Indie (and I'm not talking Oasis / Blur, proper 80s alt and underground indie) then check out Offbeat at Sheffield Uni

http://www.shef.ac.uk/~offbeat/

Some of the bands it advertises :

Delgados - Belle and Sebastian - Pavement - Smiths - Sonic Youth - Pixies - Wedding Present - Hefner - Cure - Buzzcocks - Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Franz Ferdinand - Polyphonic Spree - Futureheads - Manics - Field Mice - Mclusky - Sleater Kinney - Nirvana - Ballboy - Hives - Felt - Pastels - Aislers Set - Interpol - Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - Half Man Half Biscuit - White Stripes - Elastica - Super Furry Animals - Bis - Ash - 80's Matchbox BLD - Shins - Talulah Gosh - At the Drive-in - Helen Love - Strokes - Idlewild - Dressy Bessy - Dead Kennedys - Fall - Art Brut - Blur - Kenickie - REM - Joy Division - Moldy Peaches - Ride - Jesus and Mary Chain - My Bloody Valentine - Camera Obscura - Le Tigre - Beachbuggy - Eels - Sebadoh - Dandy Warhols - Shop Assistants - Long Blondes and many more...

...at the last club of 2004 Chris (the DJ) announced how many different bands had been played that year ....259 i beleive the figure was !

Well you just need to wait a couple of months till it gets a little sunnier and join the outdoor party season, something that will blow your socks off. - Keep an eye out for the NTA :thumbsup:

Also have a little experimental electronic-weirdness night in the pipeline, but more details when it comes up

Archived