Old disco/electronics shops in the 70s

Does anyone remember or worked in these shops,like RSC on Exchange street,now a pet shop. I have always been intrested in disco equipment and electronics and remember as a child looking in the window and drooling over the twin deck that was there,just like any normal kid looking in redgates or any other toy shop.

also remember Cloud electronics (disco shop) when it was call Johnsons sound around on London road.

there was also a small electronics type shop in the Hole in the road and one on a small side street running off church st.to orchard sq.

Does anyone remember or worked in these shops,like RSC on Exchange street,now a pet shop. I have always been intrested in disco equipment and electronics and remember as a child looking in the window and drooling over the twin deck that was there,just like any normal kid looking in redgates or any other toy shop.

also remember Cloud electronics (disco shop) when it was call Johnsons sound around on London road.

there was also a small electronics type shop in the Hole in the road and one on a small side street running off church st.to orchard sq.

Hi Andy I remember with fondness RSC in the early 60's as a child I used to have a magazine called Understanding Science and there used to be a section on electronics. I bought my first transitor from there and built my first RF receiver, crude but it worked.

As I remember there was allways a pet shop next door called Mace's. In Later years I did buy equipment from there as I also spent many years as a mobile DJ, I found that Bardwells had a better quality of 100w speakers at the right price and building my own cabinets.

The other 2 shops I can't recall the only ones I can remember were at the bottom of the Moor Ithink one was BASF and there was a small communications shop who used to sell Walkie Talkies and I looked with envy at the radios.

There was also one other place I used to visit as a child and a teenager was the X Army stores at West Bar that circular building opposite West Bar Police Station.

Thanks for the chance to remember

Remember looking in the window at those FAL disco decks. Anyone remember a shop on London road called J & BW. You could hire a twin deck dj unit, that was just 2 garrard sp25 turntables built into a carrying box, no mixer in those days. They also has regular supplys of new older Motown singles, used to stick them in the window.

There was Moon Electronics as well run by Kevin Mooney, orginally an hypmostist on the clubs. First shop was on a little street corner opposite Hillsborough Park, used to have an upstairs showroom. Then moved to London Road before selling up and emigrating a few years ago.

I think J&bw was Jonssons soundaround later to become cloud electronics.Also remember Moon Music in both locatons the one on langsett road was a small shop picked from floor to ceiling with stuff kevins wife worked at the crucible theater for a time,remember seeing her on some promo when the world snooker was on.

One of my first coffin type disco consoles had Gerrard sp25 in that was a FAL i think with three big knobs(deck 1,deck 2 and a tape input).which they called a mixer.

J & BW was on the right hand side going up from town of London Road near where there is an optitions now. Think it was run by a husband and wife team and nothing to do with Johnson's Soundaround which was on the other side of the road higher up on the corner and was owned by Mr Johnson. Roy Millington and Andrew Colley who later became the owners of Cloud both worked there, both of them were ex tv engineers.

ive got some rsc speakers,they are old with 3 10" speakers in ,lets just say they are not the best sounding speakers in the world but i do use them when we have parties in my garden in the summer and then i put them away in the loft again.i am always amazed that people comment on them as if its a flashback to there youth.

i picked them up off a car boot a few years ago for a tenner with the cables.

if anyone ever wants to borrow them for a retro disco just get in touch

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I remember RSC. I worked for them for a few years, on and off. I started out in their Birmingham shop (they had branches all over the country). Ended up moving to Sheffield and working at the Exchange Street branch until it closed. I still have fond memories of the place and the many people I worked with. I used to have a FAL Phase 25 Class A hifi amp. Sounded crap lol. Then there was Fane speakers and RSC (Realistic Sound Centres) stuff too. Do you recall their valve amps? I remember one blowing up and knocking the customers hat off lol!:hihi:

Ficklefinger

Hi

Johnson Electrics previous to London Road resided on the Ecclesall Road and previous to that in the mid sixties were at Staniforth Road in Darnall, originally being a domestic electrical retailer that cashed in on the guitar group boom.Spent many Saturdays in there drooling at the guitars and amps we couldn't afford.