The Mashouse

Guest unners

• 2 months later...

My wife and I went to the Mashouse for lunch yesterday (13/4). Firstly, I was taken aback by the size of the place. What I assumed to be the entrance which would lead into a larger room round a corner, was infact the restaurant itself! It has no windows and I counted seating for 30. If it was even half full it would have felt very claustrophobic.

Foodwise, I enjoyed it. My wife complained that her portion wasn't big enough but taste-wise it was very nice. I had fishcakes with beetroot mash. Lovely!

The wine was also excellent and the total cost of our meal was £33 - par for the course in my opinion.

One big plus was the bottles of Henderson's relish and plastic tomato shaped dispensers on each table.:thumbsup:

The underlying question to any restaurant visit is: Would we go back?

Answer: Yes, but we wouldn't rush back. (7 out of 10)

I went the other weekend for the breakfast. The food tasted pretty good, we had one large breakfast (not large at all) and one small breakfast (think kids portion).

We had a cup of coffee each and shared a bottle of water.

It cost £17. Now, as I say the food was good, but man, I want something a bit special for that price.

Ill be sticking to my greasy spoon or pub fry ups I reckon.

• 6 months later...

Went on Monday for the early bird special 2 courses for £9.95.

We both had salmon fishcakes followed by a choice of sausages and bubble and squeak. Bombardier beer and rhubarb and ginger cordial to drink. All very enjoyable, service was good and food was of good quality. Will definitely go again.

You've got to warm to a restaurant that offers Irish stew.

Archived