First election after W.W.2 on the Manor

During 1945 or 46, I remember being led by a chubby man who was using a medium size oil container, as a drum. We marched behind him, with a huge group of youngsters, from all over the Manor Estate singing at the top of our voice’s.

‘Vote, Vote, Vote for Clement Attlee. For he is the better man.,

He’ll be good for us all who live on the Manor. So lets have him whilst we can.,

So vote for him and we’ll put old Churchill in our old tin can.

Looking back I think we must have gone up every road and gennel on the estate.

I know that it was the first time that I had walked down the roads of the Hastilar and Pitsworth Road area on the estate.

Can anyone else remember anything else about that election? Or flying the big kites, made out of Grease Proof Paper. Painted on them was' Vote Labour'.

(Subjected to brainwashing at a early age?)

I remember the chldren marching round the roads on the Arbourthorne with leaflets with a picture of Atlee nailed on firewood sticks. Just a scruffy kid in charge everyone else straggling behind.

Vote vote vote for Mr Atlee

you can't vote for a better man

if it's Atlee put him in, if it's churchill put him out

and we'll put old Hitler iin an old tin can.

Remember them clearly marching on Eastern Ave, boys with their short grey trousers bunched up with ? snake belts and girls with bows of ribbon fighting gravity on the ends of their hair, too young really to know what it was all about.

hazel

Didn't they have a coalition government after the war with Attlee in charge

hazel?

I believe that during the war years for civil government a Coalition existed that governed civilian matters along with a mixed party cabinet which covered war time emergency matters.

I hope someone else can verify or correct this because I'm not certain that is correct.

I think your other post giving the: Vote, Vote,Vote for Clement Attlee, Etc is the correct version.

What ever is was, I enjoyed walking round with the huge crowd of young people!!

Did you go to the ' Ranch-House ' ( Carlton ) on a Saturday?

Not particularly Saturdays, Can't remember Sat mornings at the Carlton. I moved house from Arbourthorne in about 1949 and went to live at Intake and sat morning films were shown at the Manor.

But used to go to the Carlton during the week and ask people to take us in when it was a film that a child had to be accompanied by an adult, seems to me we were only 9 or 10 or younger.

It seems so dangerous now but we never looked at it like that, as soon as we got inside we would scarper and find our own seats.

hazel

I believe that during the war years for civil government a Coalition existed that governed civilian matters along with a mixed party cabinet which covered war time emergency matters.

I hope someone else can verify or correct this because I'm not certain that is correct.

I think your other post giving the: Vote, Vote,Vote for Clement Attlee, Etc is the correct version.

What ever is was, I enjoyed walking round with the huge crowd of young people!!

Did you go to the ' Ranch-House ' ( Carlton ) on a Saturday?

Yes,a coalition govt, led by Churchill,was in place during the war. Attlee was deputy PM.

Archived