Where's the Crimea War Memorial? (ex Botanical Gardens)

As I understand it, the fountain now in place is based on the original design. On that basis, the argument of "if it aint broke, don't fix it" seems to support the restoration of the fountain.

Gosh, so it must have been the inspiration for all those faux Italianate specimens to be found in B&Q...it even has plug on it! :lol:

As I understand it, the fountain now in place is based on the original design. On that basis, the argument of "if it aint broke, don't fix it" seems to support the restoration of the fountain.

It's pretty plastic looking though - looks like it came from the local garden centre or Wilkos

From memory Sheffield Libraries run a scheme where the public can loan artwork that belongs to the City Council, but there is no truth at all in the rumour that the Crimea Memorial has gone on loan to a local worthy. This is not Jan Wilson's front garden.

It would be nice to see this fabulous piece reappear soon, especially in a dominant position such as at the head of Fargate where it once sat! I seem to recall hearing that the column had 'gone missing' a while ago.

In defence of the new fountain it does open out the vista so the original landscaping can be seen from the herbaceous beds as intended. Also Sheffield's other Queen Victoria is just down the road at Endcliffe Park so I believe the idea was to split them up a bit.

why?

;) ;) did "the powers that be" think the two statues would start fighting, or something? ;) ;

*PT visualises the scene*

"I'm the best Queen Victoria"

"No, I'm the best Queen Victoria!"

*Insults start being hurled*

*Then huge stones start being launched between "Encs" and the "Botanics"*

*the QV statues start staggering around with cobs on their heads the size of penny-loaves!*

why?

;) ;) did "the powers that be" think the two statues would start fighting, or something? ;) ;

*PT visualises the scene*

"I'm the best Queen Victoria"

"No, I'm the best Queen Victoria!"

*Insults start being hurled*

*Then huge stones start being launched between "Encs" and the "Botanics"*

*the QV statues start staggering around with cobs on their heads the size of penny-loaves!*

More a case of why should Broomhill/Hunter's bar have all the Victoria. besides think how much more spectacular it would be if they were hurling their stones across the city centre. If QV2 got her column back it could be construed as an unfair advantage though.