Where's the Crimea War Memorial? (ex Botanical Gardens)

The Crimean Monument was moved in 1957 (started in 1956 and completed IN) It was dismantled and stored for a short while and then erected in the Botanical gardens. How do I know this? because I worked on the removal/erection along with Jack Brabury the mason in charge and others.

The one thing that really sticks in my mind was the comment made by Jack

to John Kirkham (Assistant City Surveyor at the time)when he asked how long do you think it will take to complete the works as it seems to be taking a lot longer than we anticipated?

Jack replied "Do you want this job doing quick or do you want it doing right "

We did manage to damage the nose but Jack did an invisible repair on it

and you could not tell it had been damaged.

I am told that the left hand holding a wreath is now missing but I can assure you that it was there when re-erected it in 1957.

Just for the record we were told by the officials at the time the statue was not of Queen Victoria. It is still debatable.

Well what a shame it is not wanted in the Botanical Gardens and I am sure the longer it remains in store the more damage it will get and parts will go missing.

Well I could go on and on but that's enough for now

Nice story beadle :)

Do you think it could be re-erected, behind the bus stops at the site of the peace gardens? or will it be too big?

Erect it near to the bus stop?

I dont think it would be a suitable position for it.

But the decision making committee at the Botanical Gardens don't want it at any cost and it seems the City Council could not care less about it anyway and it will probably never be re erected again.

• 5 years later...

what is happening to this important statue. i note that it has now appeared on the list of britain's most endangered buildings.

the statue part was allowed to be removed from the botanical gardens on the guarantee that it would be relocated within 2 years. now 11 years later and approaching the 160th anniversary of the end of this war one of the most important memorials to the fallen is described as neglected and in danger.

a total disgrace.

Edited by drummonds

what is happening to this important statue. i note that it has now appeared on the list of britain's most endangered buildings.

the statue part was allowed to be removed from the botanical gardens on the guarantee that it would be relocated within 2 years. now 11 years later and approaching the 160th anniversary of the end of this war one of the most important memorials to the fallen is described as neglected and in danger.

a total disgrace.

The Victorian Society has started a petition to have the memorial re-erected in the new Retail Quarter.

There's a bit more information on their web page:

http://www.victoriansociety.org.uk/news/sheffields-nelsons-column-must-be-re-erected-in-new-retail-quarter/