The Blake, Blake Street, Walkley/ Netherthorpe

theimposter

This is excellent news! Though I can't make it down there for a couple of weeks.

Used to live on Blake Street and (fool that I was) run up it occasionally "for fun". My best time was 53 seconds. I'm nowhere near that fit now...

May see some forumers in there over the coming months.

Bob

do the still do the yearly run up blake street did 1 year when i was young and boy i nearly died

They stopped for a long while, then some friends of mine added it to the Ruskin Park Fun Day, but they're no longer involved in that and - as far as I know - it hasn't happened for the past few years.

Shame, really.

My major worry about ever going into the Blake was about dying of altitude sickness climbing up to it!

I like to tackle Blake Street downwards only- do you think that James would consider installing some sort of ski lift?

TM Travel bus 31 runs fairly close if you don't fancy walking the complete hill.

Bus timetable: http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/timetables/sheffield/680.htm

Bus ticket information: http://www.tmtravel.co.uk/index.htm

Edited by Andy C

He has indeed, he also had to fight against a scandalous restrictive covenant placed on The Blake by the last owners which meant it could never be reopened as a pub.

Local hero!

I thought Enterprise said they'd stop doing restrictive covenants?

Just looked on Street View, I don't know how they dared to put "Free House" on the sign :rolleyes:

Looking forward to it reopening!

I thought Enterprise said they'd stop doing restrictive covenants?

Just looked on Street View, I don't know how they dared to put "Free House" on the sign :rolleyes:

Looking forward to it reopening!

James tried to buy the pub two years ago but was knocked back by the restrictive covenant.

I've now been told that the pub is not reopening until the 10th November.