The Blake, Blake Street, Walkley/ Netherthorpe

theimposter

Your all making me fancy a nip down there haven't been for a few weeks I love the strawberry beer:love:

ah fruli, a favourite of mine though I cant believe how much a pint of it is!

The Blake is a lovely pub with a lovely garden and I cant wait to spend more time there this summer

• 5 years later...
Guest makapaka

Directly opposite the Blake pub there is a house which has decorative lions heads running around the middle of the building which have been painted yellow.

They are obviously a legacy of the buildings original use - Does anyone know what this was? Was it a pub or shop?

There are similar decorations on the old fancy dress shop on south road albeit these look like grapes/fruit.

Directly opposite the Blake pub there is a house which has decorative lions heads running around the middle of the building which have been painted yellow.

They are obviously a legacy of the buildings original use - Does anyone know what this was? Was it a pub or shop?

There are similar decorations on the old fancy dress shop on south road albeit these look like grapes/fruit.

I've always assumed it used to be another pub. "A pub on every corner" they used to say about Sheffield and some buildings do deem to have old doorways in odd places, the sort of places you'd expect in a pub, not a house.

The one thing I've noticed about Sheffield pubs is some have shop fronts on them like for example ' Tea Gardens ' pub at Grimesthorpe or the long gone ' Hole in the Wall' where I am you don't really get that. So sometimes is easy to mix up shops and pubs but in the past it wasn't uncommon for an shop to have a bar inside has a sideline to the main business. Sometimes when I've seen a building I thought it was a pub only to find out its an long closed shop.

As jennyren says, it was a corner shop. It was still there in the early 80's when I lived a few doors down on Daniel Hill Street. The old couple who ran it had been there some years.

I remember the shopkeeper telling me that he used to offer a free bag of sweets to any local kid who could ride a bike up Blake Street - he never had to give a single one away.