Pyebank - Shirley Marshall 1940's

My mother, Shirley Marshall (not a computer-user alas) is trying to trace some old school pals from Pye Bank and Burngreave schools. So.. does anyone remember or have contact with Margaret Stocks, June Woodhouse, or Dorothy Shirley. My mother lived at 2 Nottingham St, opposite the Merry Heart pub (1930's early 1940's). She went from Pyebank to Burngreave and then worked at Walsh's Department Store. She remembers the chippy run by the Goodwin sisters. Mr Speight was the headmaster at Pyebank when she was there. Mom got hit with a board rubber by Miss Cross (for leaving the cloakroom door open). She was in Miss Lavericks class at Burngreave and the head was Miss Yates. Dorothy Shirley also lived on Nottingham St and Margaret Stocks lived on Lopham Street. Mom was born 1934. Any info gratefully received and will be passed on. Mom lives in Southport at the moment, but never forgets her Sheffield roots.

Your Mom is a year younger than me so she would've been around when I was at Pye Bank.

Unfortunatly I dont remember any of the names you mention. The only girls I remember were Norma Emmet, Jean Goult, Ann Duty, Brenda Shipway, Shirley Brown, ? Littlewood,

? Gregory and that's about it. Does she recognize any of those names?

That Miss Cross was something else though. I can see her now with the iron gray hair, a handsome woman, but with a killer temper.

Thanks, that is excellent. Mom says no relation to Margaret Marshall, but would be delighted to hear about Margaret Stocks :)

O.K.I will try to find out something for you. I think Margaret married a French man & went to live in France.I think he was in the restaurant business.I think her sister was called Brenda.

Hi I lived at Pitsmoor, don't think I have ever heard any one refer to the Bulrocks for years and years, I went to Ellesmere then Burngreave, I knew a few from Pye Bank School and All Saints as well

What years were you at those schools because I went to them also. Left Burngreave in 1952.

Archived