Pyebank - Shirley Marshall 1940's

My mother, Shirley Marshall (not a computer-user alas) is trying to trace some old school pals from Pye Bank and Burngreave schools. So.. does anyone remember or have contact with Margaret Stocks, June Woodhouse, or Dorothy Shirley. My mother lived at 2 Nottingham St, opposite the Merry Heart pub. She went from Pyebank to Burngreave and then worked at Walsh's Department Store. She remembers the chippy run by the Goodwin sisters. Mr Speight was the headmaster at Pyebank when she was there. Mom got hit with a board rubber by Miss Cross (for leaving the cloakroom door open). She was in Miss Lavericks class at Burngreave and the head was Miss Yates. Dorothy Shirley also lived on Nottingham St and Margaret Stocks lived on Lopham Street. Mom was born 1934. Any info gratefully received and will be passed on. Mom lives in Southport at the moment, but never forgets her Sheffield roots.

Hi Roundhouse,

I remember Margaret Stocks, used to live near a mate of mine on Lopham St. I think next door to Ethel Lunn. She got married and went to live on Rock Street until the slum clearance. The name Dorothy Shirley rings a bell but thats all. June Woodhouse I remember, she and her husband had a pub at Wadsley Bridge if my memory serves me right. I must be about 1 or 2 years younger than your Mom so I can't recall her, as 2 years is a hell of a gap in age when in your early teens!

Alan

Hi Lisa,

I used to live on Fox Hill, the one with the cobbles and railings and I remember Keith Darling very well. He would be about my age and wasn't he some relative of Alan Shaw?

Hi,

he's not related to Alan Shaw. I'm his niece. Whats tour name so I can pass it onto him? P.m me,

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I used to live on Fox Hill, the one with the cobbles and railings and I remember Keith Darling very well. He would be about my age and wasn't he some relative of Alan Shaw?

Hello again Alan,

i stand corrected by my dad Michael Darling, Uncle Keiths brother, who remembers you! Alan Shaw is their cousin!!!!! I didnt even know that!

regards,

Lisa.

Hi,

My dad Michael darling and my Uncle Keith Darling were members of the 61st boys brigade. They were wanting to find anyone who was there with them in the early 50's. The names my dad mentioned are Keith and Graham Cheetham (sorry if the spelling's wrong) and Keith Pullfry (sorry again!). They used to do a march at Whitsuntide through Firth Park,

Regards,

Lisa.

I was in the 61st boys brigade, was it held at the old methodist church, top of Andover Street, and Lopham St.!

Mind you...im 46, so was in the 60's when i was a member....

jt

yes John, that's the one!

lisa.

Hi,

My dad Michael darling and my Uncle Keith Darling were members of the 61st boys brigade. They were wanting to find anyone who was there with them in the early 50's. The names my dad mentioned are Keith and Graham Cheetham (sorry if the spelling's wrong) and Keith Pullfry (sorry again!). They used to do a march at Whitsuntide through Firth Park,

Regards,

Lisa.

Hi Lisa,

Another name for them to remember was my friend Frank Hewitt.

regards Capricorn_11

Archived