Port Mahon revisited

4chris

Thanks for that. Details do seem limited, as for many of Sheffield's lost streams and springs. For interest, a map of them here: http://www.caughtbytheriver.net/2013/04/the-lost-rivers-streams-and-brooks-jarvis-cocker-of-sheffield/

hiya, my dad when he was young lived down bellefield lane and went to st stephens school and his way to say the name was "pooert me on" I remember the urinal in the middle of the road there, it was a gents only like the ones in france.

hiya, my dad when he was young lived down bellefield lane and went to st stephens school and his way to say the name was "pooert me on" I remember the urinal in the middle of the road there, it was a gents only like the ones in france.

Outside the Rapid brake company if memory serves, my Grandma lived at Neepsend in the 50s and did most of her shopping at what she called "put me on".

I also remember her frequenting "Cheap Jacks" on the shops behind the Infirmary, a veritable emporium where everything household was purchased.

I agree with the above post's version of how local people pronounced Port Mahon. When I was very young in the early 50s, we used to go to visit relatives living on "Pooert Meeon".

Outside the Rapid brake company if memory serves, my Grandma lived at Neepsend in the 50s and did most of her shopping at what she called "put me on".

I also remember her frequenting "Cheap Jacks" on the shops behind the Infirmary, a veritable emporium where everything household was purchased.

The urinal was further down, more nearer meadow street.

Archived