Hand Luggage at Manchester Airport

Hello All - Sorry to re-open an old thread!

I was just wondering if anybody knew the policy about taking things with wires on planes as hand luggage - eg phone chargers, mp3 player chargers. I think it would probably be ok, after all you can take headphones etc which have the same wires on them, but what if I decide I want to strangle the pilot with it? :rollseyes:

So if anyone has been from Manchester recently and knows please share :D

Thanks

Tess

It shouldn't be a problem. (I last went through Manchester 9 months ago, but I've been through a few other airports since; I often have a collection of things with wires on in my hand luggage and on the (rare) occasions the person working the scanner has had doubts, the person downstream has merely asked me to show him/her the items.)

I suggest you don't make any comments about strangling pilots (or anybody else) with the headphone cable. I doubt Manchester is quite as silly as the US, but you never know.

A few years ago, a lady (a retired schoolteacher in her mid 60's) tried to board an aircraft in Miami. She was carrying a hardback book. There was a leather bookmark in the book, which was weighted with lead shot (About 20gm of lead shot.) The 'Homeland Security' eejit refused to allow her to take the bookmark onto the aircraft because he said 'You might attack somebody with it.' She told him that if she really did want to attack another passenger, she wouldn't hit him with the bookmark, she'd hit him with the book - which weighed about half a kilo. That was it! She was arrested and not allowed to board the flight.

Thats a bit extreme! I won't tell the cabin crew that, don't worry :D

I've only got an MP3 Charger and a Phone Charger so it shouldnt be too bad - I was just worried about the wires, especially going through customs, would look like a bomb or something!

All my electricals go in my hand luggage. That's batteries and battery charger, phone, phone charger, ipod and charger and seperate speakers, camera and camera charger, our lasses straighteners.

It's a bird/s nest of wires and I've never had the slightest problem getting through.

All my electricals go in my hand luggage. That's batteries and battery charger, phone, phone charger, ipod and charger and seperate speakers, camera and camera charger, our lasses straighteners.

It's a bird/s nest of wires and I've never had the slightest problem getting through.

Straighteners? I hate putting them in my case - they're also going in if I can get away with it!

Guys you have been really helpful - is there anything else I should know, because obviously i've been missing out here! :)

Archived