Car Drivers - Do Motorcyclists Annoy You

Car Drivers - Do Motorcyclists Annoy You  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Car Drivers - Do Motorcyclists Annoy You

• They annoy me and I try and close any gap
    • They annoy me but I don't close any gap
    • They should wait their turn like me
    • What's the problem as long as they do it correctly

The average motorcyclist in britain today is between 35 and 55 years old and is a car owner with sufficient disposable income to afford a bike as well. Me in fact. Most of the others are chavs on scooters or on illeagal machines such as offroaders and stripped down old machines. Or the group that includes people who for one reason or another started on bikes and never moved on to cars or who use bikes as a true congestion busting method of commuting.

• 2 years later...

I dont mind bikers riding past if traffic is stationary or moving very slow, i cant see a problem with it as long as they are sensible about it and dont start weaving between lanes.

but like there are some very poor car drivers out there, there are poor bike riders. i drive a pickup regularly for work and the blind spots are huge and bikers (and many cars) dont allways seem to take this into account and ive had a few close situations. also as bikes can accelerate very quickly, i dont like the guys who are standing still in a queu one minuite and then passing you in about 5 seconds, i allways think thats quite dangerous.

I dont mind bikers riding past if traffic is stationary or moving very slow, i cant see a problem with it as long as they are sensible about it and dont start weaving between lanes.

but like there are some very poor car drivers out there, there are poor bike riders. i drive a pickup regularly for work and the blind spots are huge and bikers (and many cars) dont allways seem to take this into account and ive had a few close situations. also as bikes can accelerate very quickly, i dont like the guys who are standing still in a queu one minuite and then passing you in about 5 seconds, i allways think thats quite dangerous.

I think visibility is a big issue. When I used to ride a motorcyle (and still now when I cycle, and even when I drive a car, especially in some situations around large vehicles) I try and think whether the other driver can see me or if I am in a blind spot. Of course, even if you're not in a blind spot, its not much good if the other person hasn't looked, but at least you've given them the chance.

btw, as others have said, I also am likely to move over a little if it helps when someone is filtering through. Sometimes the rider even acknowledges this, which is nice, though not necessary.

I think they should act like they were a car and do things like CARS DO!!

Hey that's a really good idea!

Instead of filtering through the traffic, why don't all the bikes just stay in the queue of traffic with the cars, and make the traffic jams longer. (like they do in amerika!)

John X

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikertec View Post

I tend to pull over more to let them pass easier, but then again I'm a biker too.

^^^What he said.

Can you please clarify your response to Bikertecs quote

are you saying,

you tend to pull over more to let them pass easier, but then again you are a biker too ?.

Just to inform car drivers who may not know, solo motorcycles can use all the bus lanes in sheffield legally at all times. Some of the signage does not yet show a motorcycle symbol but permission has already been granted.

As for filtering through traffic. This is the whole point of riding a motorcycle or scooter. A bike takes up much less room on the road and significantly reduces the weight of traffic and means that there are more parking spaces for cars.

Speaking personally I commute to work on my bike most days and this is because I can park my bike for free at work, whereas if I go in the car it costs me £3.30 per day to park or I have to park in front of someone's house and walk in.

Also on the way home in the afternoon, because I can filter through the traffic jam, on the bike I can get home in 20 minutes whereas it can take an hour in the car.

If you are a mardy car driver annoyed about bikes legally and correctly whizzing past as you sweat in your car in the rush hour traffic, remember that each biker equals one less car in front of you. They are doing you a favour by making your own journey quicker.

If you are a mardy car driver annoyed about bikes legally and correctly whizzing past as you sweat in your car in the rush hour traffic, remember that each biker equals one less car in front of you. They are doing you a favour by making your own journey quicker.

I have no problem with that, and a lot of bikers are very safe. If they can get past safely then that's great, I would do the same. The problem I have is when some bikers undertake and weave in and out of cars and become a danger (I almost crashed into a pizza delivery bike once when he undertook me while I was about to turn left, even though I was signalling. Thankfully I checked my mirror before turning, but a lot of people don't). I certainly wouldn't say this is all bikers, though.

Archived