The Jerry Under The Bed.

I love these nostalgia threads! Remember the kitchen unit? It had 2 glass doors in the top, a pull down work surface to cut the bread on and a couple of doors at the bottom - and that mate was your 'fitted kitchen'............ What about the gas taps and rubber hose? C.O.R.G.I. guys would have a heart attack! And what about the double adaptor so you could plug the iron into the light fitting? When we went smokeless and all the gas fires went in can you remember having the 'Gas miser' fire and turning it down to 'miser rate'?

I remember the day my Grandma had her lovely black leaded range smashed out and a new little gas fire put there.She was proud as punch, and I was heartbroken.I remember that roaring fire from being a baby, the knitted jumpers being kept in the cupboard at the side of it to warm before you put them on.!

I remember the old gas cookers that had proper gas taps on them rather than the dials we have now, they were shaped like the tuning thingies on guitars!

Tin bath, yes,My Nan had two, a full size one, and a smaller one which I suppose was for children? She also had a Belfast sink with just a cold water tap coming from it!

I never really liked the po, didn't like to see someone else's wee already in there!!

I love these nostalgia threads! Remember the kitchen unit? It had 2 glass doors in the top, a pull down work surface to cut the bread on and a couple of doors at the bottom - and that mate was your 'fitted kitchen'............ What about the gas taps and rubber hose? C.O.R.G.I. guys would have a heart attack! And what about the double adaptor so you could plug the iron into the light fitting? When we went smokeless and all the gas fires went in can you remember having the 'Gas miser' fire and turning it down to 'miser rate'?

So thats why it was called a "Gas Miser".:o

We also had a "Cannon Gas Miser" but the coal fire had been abandoned a few years before Hillsborough went smokeless (which must have been c. 1964). This was because from about 1959 we had a paraffin heater - it was a very good source of heat but you had to watch the level of paraffin - if the flame started to flicker it would smell awful until you refilled the tank. We had a 5-gallon "Para-Can" in the cellar with a tap for easy filling of the tank, and Dad would fetch 5 gallons at a time, with the Para-Can strapped to the back of his Velocette motorbike. I remember the TV adverts for paraffin - "Esso blue", "Aladdin" and "Fina green" were the brands I recall. Memories...

I remember the cartoon ads for esso blue with the jngle that went "bom-bom-bom-bom , Ess-So Blue!", and the pastiche of the song "smoke gets in your eyes"

I remember the "tiger in your tank" ads as well.

We had a little parrafin heater in the outside loo, which we kept lit, pretty much all winter, to stop the cistern and pipes freezing up.

Remember making toast at the coal fire by stabbing a huge, thick slice of bread with a knife then sitting there holding it close to the flames until its done?

It always seemed to taste better than the thin slices made in the toaster.

We had a breadknife that we used to use, and I remember that knife being in the bottom of the kitchen drawer for years after the coal fire was removed, the sharp tip of the knife was scorched black and no matter how often it was washed it stayed black.

I remember the ad. for Esso Blue, "It's the Esso blee dooler, no it's the Esso Bue Dealer"

Spot on. There were several versions of the ad., all involving a character answering the phone and getting wrong numbers - the caller always wanted "Joe", and in answer to "Hello, Joe?" he always said "No - this is the Esso Blue dealer". The caller could also be seen on-screen, and when it was a gorgeous blonde, the answer to a seductively-sounding "Hello-o, Joe?" was firstly "No, this is the Esso blee dooler", then "...er, blue darling" followed by the character acquiring a (black & white) blush on screen.

Yes indeed, Plain Talker, the "smoke gets in your eyes" song was also adapted for Esso blue paraffin. It went like this:

"They asked me how I knew

It was Esso Blue,

I of course replied

With lower grades one buys

Smoke gets in your eyes"

"Put a tiger in your tank" was an Esso slogan in 1965. Earlier than this was the jingle "The Esso sign means happy motoring ...Call at the Esso sign". Then there were "Make money notes" - these were a sort of coupon that was given with each gallon (good old gallons) of petrol in 1966. Each was half of a "banknote" and you needed to have both the left- and right-hand halves to win the amount on the note. People used to advertise in the paper for the "other" half of a high-value note, suggesting a 50-50 split.

My goodness - I can remember all this, over 40 years on...

Been there done that remember it all but I do remember my gran cooking a big pot of ASH over the fire and dipping a slice of dry bread into the gravy yum.Memories .

Been there also. After dishing up the pancakes on Shrove Tuesday, my mum always did a huge pot of "ash" on Ash Wednesday. We hadn't the heart to tell mum it was "hash"... God bless her, she died last year at 87, and will no doubt still be feeding hungry kids in the Great Beyond.

Archived