The Jerry Under The Bed.

Hillsbro, your reference to put a Tiger in your tank by Esso. That year I was serving in HMS Tiger a Royal Navy cruiser. We wrote to Esso and they supplied us with lots of advertising material . We also painted our refuelling hoses yellow with black stripes.

An old mate once told me a story about when he was a meter reader back in the 50's. He called at this house and the lady said that the meter would be awkward to read as it was under the bed in the front room where her poor husband was bed bound. He looked under the bed ( one of those old high ones) to see that the tin bath was there. It seemed quite heavy so he gave a good tug on it to pull it out and got covered in pee as it sloshed all around. The old guy had been using it as a toilet for who knows how long and no one had seen fit to empty it. The aroma must have been wonderful.

• 3 months later...

Theres some old uns on ere lol (including me)

I remember my mums washer with the mangles and the twin tub washer. the fan shaped clothes airer attached to the wall that you pushed up like a brolly attached to the wall (in fact i have seen onw recently in a catalouge they have made a come back) if you look in some of the shops ie BHS they have all the tin jugs / and breadbins for sale we had thoes aswell = we threw them all out and now they are back

Archived