Sheffield in the 1986-88 Period?

1986 to 1988, I was aged 16 to 19. Great times indeed.

As someone who has kept a diary since 1982, you might find it of interest that:

In 1986 I went up to Lightwood Driving Centre at Norton. An hour's driving (or stalling) cost £2.05. I then moved onto proper driving lessons with Larry Logan (RIP) and an hour cost £8. Bargain or what?

I commenced my love affair with pubs on Saturday 12th February 1986 in the York, Broomhill. Two and a half pints of lager and lime was enough (how times change). I was reading Absolute Beginners in that year (it probably took me a year to finish as it was a complete yawn). The family holidayed in Tenerife.

In 1987 a cab home from town to Nethergreen/Fulwood cost £2.60 and a pint in Maximillions was £1.17 (and that was considered expensive). Other clubs I went to were: Al-E-Cats, Sinatra's, The Roxy, Josephine's, Isabella's, Gossips, and the one on Bank Street (formerly Romea and Juliet's). I holidayed in Rhodes.

I passed my driving exam (first time), I passed my college exams and I began to enjoy getting drunk. I completed my first Sheffield Half-Marathon (1 hr 35).

Then The Smiths split, our Olde English Sheepdog kicked the bucket and the Blades were relegated.

Fortunately, 1988 was around the corner and life was about to change for the better (no, not Stock-Aitken-Waterman).

1986 to 1988, I was aged 16 to 19. Great times indeed.

As someone who has kept a diary since 1982, you might find it of interest that:

In 1986 I went up to Lightwood Driving Centre at Norton. An hour's driving (or stalling) cost £2.05. I then moved onto proper driving lessons with Larry Logan (RIP) and an hour cost £8. Bargain or what?

I commenced my love affair with pubs on Saturday 12th February 1986 in the York, Broomhill. Two and a half pints of lager and lime was enough (how times change). I was reading Absolute Beginners in that year (it probably took me a year to finish as it was a complete yawn). The family holidayed in Tenerife.

In 1987 a cab home from town to Nethergreen/Fulwood cost £2.60 and a pint in Maximillions was £1.17 (and that was considered expensive). Other clubs I went to were: Al-E-Cats, Sinatra's, The Roxy, Josephine's, Isabella's, Gossips, and the one on Bank Street (formerly Romea and Juliet's). I holidayed in Rhodes.

I passed my driving exam (first time), I passed my college exams and I began to enjoy getting drunk. I completed my first Sheffield Half-Marathon (1 hr 35).

Then The Smiths split, our Olde English Sheepdog kicked the bucket and the Blades were relegated.

Fortunately, 1988 was around the corner and life was about to change for the better (no, not Stock-Aitken-Waterman).

Really interesting reading. What was Roxy's like in say 1987? I first went in 1993 (aged almost 23). Was it quite different in 1986-88? Also what about Isabellas and Cairo's at the time?

slim - Roxy's was horrible. The carpet stuck to your feet (I'm sure that's why they had all that dry ice). I much preferred Isabella's. All my mates seemed to have their 18th birthdays there. I thought it was quite classy at the time. Gossip's next door didn't serve pints either, only half pints, which I always thought was strange.

Cairo Jax was another place I wasn't too impressed with. There was always a fight (or two) and I detested the music they played. Sinatra's was great, slightly older clientel.

(Incidentally there was a Roxy nightclub in York which I visited a couple of times in 1988. This could not be more different to the Sheffield one. It was full of goths and located on three levels. I will never forget This Corrosion by Sisters of Mercy being belted out in there; my ears are still ringing.)

slim - Roxy's was horrible. The carpet stuck to your feet (I'm sure that's why they had all that dry ice). I much preferred Isabella's. All my mates seemed to have their 18th birthdays there. I thought it was quite classy at the time. Gossip's next door didn't serve pints either, only half pints, which I always thought was strange.

Cairo Jax was another place I wasn't too impressed with. There was always a fight (or two) and I detested the music they played. Sinatra's was great, slightly older clientel.

(Incidentally there was a Roxy nightclub in York which I visited a couple of times in 1988. This could not be more different to the Sheffield one. It was full of goths and located on three levels. I will never forget This Corrosion by Sisters of Mercy being belted out in there; my ears are still ringing.)

Perhaps you wanted something different from a club to me. In this period (and indeed still now) I would have liked a club full of sexy girls in skimpy skirts.

I left school in 85 so started frequenting the bars of Sheffield probably 87/88 ish. We used to go to Turnups, Roxys, Cairo Jax, Gossips, The Blue Bell on high Street, sometimes Sinatras, hated Josephines.:hihi: I remember a pub behind the cathedral that we used to go in regularly, used to be packed out so that you could not move but I cannot remember the name of it. It was down a little gennel, its going to annoy me know.:mad:

I remember eating a kebab for the first time in about 88 I threw up. I dont know if it was the drink or the kebab.

We used to be in town every Saturday afternoon, just hanging about really as we never had any money to spend. Bus fares were 2p each way, so bus rides formed part of our social life in those days. We used to hang around the sheaf market looking at the latest records and admiring the shoes in Ribena. Harringtons in the sheaf market was the place to buy your stretch jeans, which we took home and "took them in" so that they were even tighter on the leg. Probably ruined a decent pair of jeans with the sewing machine. We often used to say to our mates, "cant come our tonight I'm tekking me jeans in".

God we were cool in those days.

Jeanery on Fargate,skintight jeans with red or white piping down the sides,going to see King play the octagon.Limit,Hallamshire,Leadmill with the brown painted lavs,Rebina shoes, Crash clothing on high St , the big virgin music shop on high street,rat tails in the back of your hair,flicked out hair like 'im in flock of seagulls, dickie bows,blue mascara,buying postmans trousers that buttoned up the side from army and navy on exchange st for about 99p,Chelsea girl the fountain on top of fargate coulour changing lipstick,orange juice's Rip it up...... happy days...

Archived