NASA photographs mysterious Big Foot figure on Mars!

I know! lol and don't forget about the Sport's "genuine" "picture" of the london bus on the moon! :loopy:

I remember seeing that pic and thinking `My god! That cant be real!`

I was actually taken in for a while, I thought it was a close encounters of the third kind thing with the ship in the desert. I was thrilled and thought we were going to be visited at any time by aliens!

God I was dense :D

according to further investigation it seems that the figure would be actually no more than one inch high..Lilliput revisited perhaps?

That may be true but it depends on who is doing the invesigation and how accurate their calculations are.

I would imagine not even NASA scientist who are getting the data first hand, could accurately judge distance and scale on a planet that has no human has yet visited.

Even if this figure did turn out to be as small as they suggest, what difference does that make?

Why is it that we naturally assume that everything will be on the same scale as we experience on Earth?:huh:

That may be true but it depends on who is doing the invesigation and how accurate their calculations are.

I would imagine not even NASA scientist who are getting the data first hand, could accurately judge distance and scale on a planet that has no human has yet visited.

Even if this figure did turn out to be as small as they suggest, what difference does that make?

Why is it that we naturally assume that everything will be on the same scale as we experience on Earth?:huh:

They can relate it to the parts of the rover that are in the photograph. There are probably ways of calculating it very accurately from knowing the resolution of the lens and the horizon distance or somesuch. I downloaded the original image and had a look (75 mb file). That really is quite a small bigfoot. Cool rock/shadow though.

They can relate it to the parts of the rover that are in the photograph. There are probably ways of calculating it very accurately from knowing the resolution of the lens and the horizon distance or somesuch. I downloaded the original image and had a look (75 mb file). That really is quite a small bigfoot. Cool rock/shadow though.

But how can they calculate the distance to the horizon when they haven't been there?

They would also need to know what altitude the rover is at, so without any human being to check, I think most of the calculations are based on their assumptions and estimations.

So I am not really confident that they could very accurately judge size with so few known reference points.

Archived