Nightclub for over 30's?

Ron Blanco

Hi Edna. Well it's a bit of a mixed group coming up from Nottingham, but they're a bit anti-townie - though I don't mind that myself (i remember one good night at Kingdom, think it was summer 2004, but admittedly I've also erased a clutch of horrific Kingdom experiences from my memory). I quite like the Casbah myself but suspect I'm in the minority in that respect. I've been to the city hall do years ago so have provisonally booked us on the guest list there for later. Based on advice given here I'm planning to try a few boozers around cubana area beforehand, but will look into the plug too - bands/live music would be good actually. thanks

Well if you do go to the Plug, there is a Reverend and the makers DJ set at DQ afterwards.

Plug and DQ would be my choice for Sat night but i'm out on a birthday do so i won't be doing that.

Evening,

Notice how you say mate that you'd be trying the boozers aroung Cubana. If so then make sure you take your friends for a few in The Dog and Partridge

Hi Reg, the Dog and Partridge you say. hmmm... ok but will hold you responsible for the outcome!

What do you think of Edna's suggestion of Plug + DQ. I do like the Reverend, I have to admit.

• 2 weeks later...
West Street live this weekend is classic rock heaven

Friday night is the Bangkok messiahs of groove, doing what they do best, Absolutely nutty from start to finish.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=4104789

Saturday night is motorheadache, yes, motor head tribute. No, they don’t just play motor head we got them to lob in some classic rock tunes from other bands as well

http://www.lls-online.net/Gallery%20motorheadache.htm

both bands are on 9:30 10:30 and 11:30 and yes we have Gary playing classic rock tunes between set and taking you through till 1am ( we worked away to get him away from the bar we tell him his pints been moved to the other side of the room, its working so far but ssssshhh )

HOT ROCK- COLD BEER- EXPECT NO MERCY-

Im now working on a feasability study to see if its possible to get a guiness and a strongbow pump in the dj booth

Wow! some great suggestions there. It is opening my eyes to places i've been missing out on!!

Cubana - that's salsa dancing mayhem right?

Trippets - didn't it used to be a jazz club? What's it like now?

Old House - wasn't that the Halcyon? I used to avoid it as it seemed a bit aloof and was bordering on what my friends might call "poncy" - and was about £8 a pint too. Has it changed?

Sanctuary - never even heard of it but picture on website is nice so that's worth a look

West st Live - Is it always live rock music on a friday night? maybe one for when my "Rocker" friend Lenny visits on Fri 22nd Feb!

Bath/Dev Cat - yes I know them

Red Deer - will poke our noses in

Faigs - ?

Hot Pants - also a strong contender I think

Decisions, decisions!

Also check out the quarter recently opened, fabulous place and great atmosphere... New nights are launching.

Thursdays Starting 7th Febuary with Sizzlers Jazz club

Fridays Starting 15th Febuary with Funkadelic

Saturdays Starting 23rd Febuary with Soul Deep

http://www.myspace.com/the_quarter_sheffield

http://www.thequartersheffield.co.uk (under construction)

Another suggestion is if you don't mind a gay-friendly venue, then Affinity (Formerly Boho) on Campo Lane, is a good place to drop into; it opens until midnight, and it is quiet and well furnished with comfy seats. On most nights there are different drag queens, either dj-ing (including a lot of 1960's/1970's classic music) or dancing. I know of many straight females who frequent the place, and even some straight male friends have tagged along there!

Grooving for grown-ups? Then may I suggest the irregular night Groovin 4 Grown-Ups. It's on every 2nd Friday of the month (i.e. this Friday, 8th Feb).

We play quality choons (jazz/ska/soul/mambo/reggae/bossa) from the 40s to the (early) 70s and is an official 'cheese-free zone'.

p.s. it's a lot of fun

Archived