Why go abroad for your holidays?

The last time I bothered with a holiday in this country it ****** it down for a week. Never again! Shame though, cos there are some beautiful places in this country. Fine when you are a student and have long holidays to spend in tents etc but these days are drawing to a close for me so I will begin to spend my holidays wisely!

All i remember from my sojourns on home soil is that Cornish Pasties become tiresome after the third day of having them for breakfast, dinner and tea and that all rooms in the lake District smell of dog. Not a good dog either.

Also I possibly, if I'm lucky have 40 summers left. So that does not leave much time to see the world. I have toured England but have only briefly glimpsed the rest of the world if seen as a percentage. Are you suggesting I shouldn't yearn for Macchu Picchu or Rio De Janeiro because that somehow means I don't value my own Country.

Also I possibly, if I'm lucky have 40 summers left. So that does not leave much time to see the world. I have toured England but have only briefly glimpsed the rest of the world if seen as a percentage. Are you suggesting I shouldn't yearn for Macchu Picchu or Rio De Janeiro because that somehow means I don't value my own Country.

Even if you lived to be 200, there are lots of places in the world you'd never get to see. Unlike yourself, holidays for me aren't a question of ticking off exotic locations off a list so you can boast about them at dinner parties ("Oh, you only went round the Egyptian pyramids on a camel? How gauche! We spent the summer water-ski-ing through crocodiles down the Ganges!"). I simply enjoy lovely scenery, doing interesting activities and perhaps learning a little more about the country I live in and what made it what it is today.

Even if you lived to be 200, there are lots of places in the world you'd never get to see. Unlike yourself, holidays for me aren't a question of ticking off exotic locations off a list so you can boast about them at dinner parties ("Oh, you only went round the Egyptian pyramids on a camel? How gauche! We spent the summer water-ski-ing through crocodiles down the Ganges!"). I simply enjoy lovely scenery, doing interesting activities and perhaps learning a little more about the country I live in and what made it what it is today.

Again, I'll state. I enjoy my holidays for what they offer me not what others may think of me for going on them. Would it be okay if I go abroad but take a book with me on British History and read it the entire time? We are part of a wider world and a wider global community and it isn't wrong to learn a bit about that too.

Again, I'll state. I enjoy my holidays for what they offer me not what others may think of me for going on them. Would it be okay if I go abroad but take a book with me on British History and read it the entire time? We are part of a wider world and a wider global community and it isn't wrong to learn a bit about that too.

Where does it end? Would you want to be part of the first tourist space flight as we're part of a wider universe and you want to learn about it too?

If you were really concerned about the wider global community wouldn't you actually spend time amongst the people of whichever African country (for example) you choose to visit?

For too many Western tourists, visiting a country simply means shutting yourself off from the poverty-stricken locals in a big hotel with a high fence and only venturing out with a tour guide telling you what to do, where to go and what souvenirs to buy.

Don't get me wrong - I've been abroad myself (albeit only to France). There was much to commend it but I felt hampered by not feeling a sense of belonging, the language barrier and the fact I felt too much like a tourist, doomed to head for whatever attractions the guidebook told me to visit.

The Cotswolds would be a nice place for a hoilday, but the weather could ruin it all....anyhow you can see most of England in a few short holidays , in fact you can drive from one end of England to the other in a day, can't you ? but there's nothing better than the pub food over there.

Archived