Why go abroad for your holidays?

Well a holiday is what you make it. It would be my idea of hell to sit in a fenced in hotel, you don't have to do that. Cheap flights mean you can off the beaten track easily now.

My dad had a simlar aversion to going abroad. Had brilliant holidays in this country but when we went twice to the picos region of Northern Spain and they were our favourite holidays by far. Experiencing a different culture and not being anywhere near a tourist region was great. Places like St Ives in Cornwall are pretty hideous for the exact reasons you mention - cornish pasties rammed down your throat, british sock-and-sandle wearing people and sticks of rock everywhere :hihi:

Well a holiday is what you make it. It would be my idea of hell to sit in a fenced in hotel, you don't have to do that. Cheap flights mean you can off the beaten track easily now.

hihi:

All inclusive holidays or places where you cant leave the hotel after dark, same sun bed all week and same table in the hotel bar.

:gag:

If that’s what you want, fine but why go abroad then.

I was joking! I have a 5 year old and it's just wishing for what I know I can't have nor would really want.

Much like the yearning for tall dark swarthy men. Actually scratch that, I could manage one or three of them. Before I went out to see the sights and absorb the culture....naturally.

Basil, let me shake your hand!

I haven't even got a passport, I hate the idea of going 'abroad' that much ;) I'd like to go to Iceland and one or two other places, but not enough to waste all my spare cash on it. When I want a holiday I want to look at nice scenery, eat nice food, visit historic sites etc and chill out and I can do all that in the UK.

To me, a foreign package holiday must be Hell. Why not just rent a dirty flat with a few cockroaches and intermittent plumbing in Park Hill for a week, hire a sunbed, it's the same thing.

Not even bothered that much about all this 'experiencing foreign cultures' malarkey. There's enough regional differences in the UK to make spending a week in another place interesting to me.

Who gives a damn about hot weather? Sitting in the sun only gives you cancer anyway. Do people go and spend a week smoking 60 cigs a day? No. Then why go and spend a week giving yourself skin cancer?

Plus god knows where people are going if it's that expensive to holiday in the UK when you can rent a holiday cottage to sleep a family somewhere like Whitby, in the middle of June, for just over £200 a week.

We had great holidays in this country, Cornwall being a particular favourite.

However we like to go abroad too, mainly so I can lie on a sunbed and read for a fortnight:) Hubby has his own business and being out of the country is the only sure way to ensure that he gets a complete break.

Basil, let me shake your hand!

I haven't even got a passport, I hate the idea of going 'abroad' that much ;) I'd like to go to Iceland and one or two other places, but not enough to waste all my spare cash on it. When I want a holiday I want to look at nice scenery, eat nice food, visit historic sites etc and chill out and I can do all that in the UK.

To me, a foreign package holiday must be Hell. Why not just rent a dirty flat with a few cockroaches and intermittent plumbing in Park Hill for a week, hire a sunbed, it's the same thing.

Not even bothered that much about all this 'experiencing foreign cultures' malarkey. There's enough regional differences in the UK to make spending a week in another place interesting to me.

Who gives a damn about hot weather? Sitting in the sun only gives you cancer anyway. Do people go and spend a week smoking 60 cigs a day? No. Then why go and spend a week giving yourself skin cancer?

Plus god knows where people are going if it's that expensive to holiday in the UK when you can rent a holiday cottage to sleep a family somewhere like Whitby, in the middle of June, for just over £200 a week.

That's the trouble, 'in the middle of june', try booking the same cottage in the 6 weeks holidays and they want 600+ for it! Britain outprices itself in the 6 weeks holidays. I love Britain, especially Cornwall but I'm a bit fed up of local prices v tourist prices, everywhere you go down there, even the council have cottonned on to it and are charging different prices for locals and tourists in the car parks - which is disgusting :rant: They simply don't deserve tourists hard-earned money.

Archived