Why go abroad for your holidays?

I want to visit other countries & experience different cultures.

The vast majority of British holiday makers go abroad for different reasons, namely to sit in the sun, hang out with other English people, eat English food and do English things. As Peter Kay so famously said, "it's like being at home, only you've got the weather"

Holidaymakers like these make me ashamed to be English, which is why I avoid such detinations like the plague. In fact, I would rather go self catering at Guantanemo Bay, than spend a week holed up next to a group of chip eating, beer bellied sun burnt louts whose idea of fun is spewing Kebab into a hedge and shagging anything that moves. And that's just the women.

My holidays abroad ended once the kids arrived ...I now happily sit in a caravan on the East Coast, hearing the rain tapping on the roof...the gas blowing out just as your doing the morning fry up and never forgetting to pack the wellies...:hihi:

Once the kids can appreciate the cost :D we'll stretch to Newquay, Cornwall area ...and if their lucky and save up enough, we might take them to Disney one time.:hihi:

Being abroad isn't the B all and end all for me.

I got freckles and burn anyhow :blush:

So keep your airport que's, boarding passes and boots Soltan... gimme Viva Las England anyday :love:

We're going abroad because it was costing us £1,200 for a week in Butlins!!! Thats 2 adults a 5 year old and a new baby! We can go to Spain for a fortnight for that.
I refuse to believe that. We've booked for a week and its cost us £250 in Gold standard accom with breakfast and dinner and thats for 3 of us

Going abroad when you have kids is a nightmare and unnecessary. Its too hot, too far, too risky, too stressful and theres too many what if's.

That and lets be fair the kids don't care. To them its going to be fun whatever you do. The only reason that people take(drag) their kids abroad is because they want to go. Don't come up with this "but the kids love it" rubbish because the kid has no choice. if the kid said he fancied a week in Sierra Leone you wouldn't go so don't pretend they love magaluf or whatever godforsaken tourist trap you force them to go to.

One other point that hasn't cropped up on this thread so far is that, if you believe in climate change, no-one will be able to go abroad within a few years anyway, because all consumer plane travel will be banned on account of the carbon footprint it leaves. On a brighter note, by then the earth with have warmed up so much that it'll be just as warm in Torquay in 2020 as it is in the Mediterranean now, so if all you want is the weather you won;t need to go abroad anyway.....;)

I agree with you Basil. You can go to the same place many times in this country but have completely different experiences each time - I'm mainly thinking of the weather with that one :D

I can't see the point of spending money to go through the stress of a flight just to get to a tourist resort where you spend all your time in the hotel/bar/on the beach and never leave the resort!

But then, I enjoy outdoor activities too, and I can't sit still for too long. My idea of a beach holiday is one where I can surf or make huge sandcastles/damn up a stream :)

That's the trouble, 'in the middle of june', try booking the same cottage in the 6 weeks holidays and they want 600+ for it! Britain outprices itself in the 6 weeks holidays. I love Britain, especially Cornwall but I'm a bit fed up of local prices v tourist prices, everywhere you go down there, even the council have cottonned on to it and are charging different prices for locals and tourists in the car parks - which is disgusting :rant: They simply don't deserve tourists hard-earned money.

June gets the best weather anyway, plus longer days. It's almost always guaranteed to be mostly sunny in June whereas in July and August you risk it either being relentless rain or too hot to do anything. Just go outside the 6 weeks! Be quieter too. Cornwall has been a rip-off for years. Haven't been there in 17 years but it was already far too packed and far too expensive even then. The ONLY way to do Cornwall is to go in May/June or September! Anglesey is the other nightmare place in summer.

But really, all kids want is a big open space to run round in and shout as loud as they like so you don't even need resorts wwith amusements to keep them happy, just a few footballs, cricket set, buckets/spades, and some imagination and they'll have a laugh anywhere, whatever the weather. I spent many hours doing stupid things like throwing cow pats, damming up streams, exploring caves, jumping in nettle beds, etc. My main memory of being in Spain is tied up with having serious sunstroke and having to stay indoors for most of the holiday; my brothers found cockroaches in the rooms and then got into fights with other lads, dad had the trots, the Germans ate all the breakfast every day and mum had her money stolen - dad said it was like having been sent to live in Toxteth for the fortnight :(

We did not just go for a holiday we ended up living here, in Bulgaria. Main reason because we could not afford to live in UK anymore. Not on a pension and a wage, no regrets so far (1 year later)anyway.

Its an individual choice!

Who needs to see different lands, when you can spend holidays in kagools eating eggs and bacon every morning?

Forget the kagool and go to Spain you can still have all day breakfast with English sausage, HP sauce all washed down with a pint of John Smiths, aren’t the continentals more cultured than us, second thoughts go to Skeg- vagus and take a kagool. :rolleyes:

Archived