Why go abroad for your holidays?

Well, now we're at the height of the holiday season, I wonder how many people did take my advice and decided to take their holidays in the UK? At the time this thread was started, no-one had heard of the credit crunch so perhaps the cost wasn't as big a factor as it is now.

Don't get me wrong - if you want to sit on a beach for a fortnight and get burned, then by all means go abroad. But if you prefer to see interesting things, get active, enjoy fine scenery or visit sites of great historical significance there's no need to get on a plane - it's all here!

But you have to look at it all through, mist, fog and drizzle Basil

For some of us, the endless variety of weather is what makes Britain so infinitely fascinating. Imagine how dull it would be to go somewhere where the weather every day was so hot and sweaty that you'd got no energy to go anywhere or do anything?

For some of us, the endless variety of weather is what makes Britain so infinitely fascinating. Imagine how dull it would be to go somewhere where the weather every day was so hot and sweaty that you'd got no energy to go anywhere or do anything?

Except drink and get naked in the pool. Yes you'd hate it B.;)

What are British kids going to have to look back on if they've never endured a wet day in the car at Knott End, eating warm meat paste butties and having a ration of tea out of a flask? ;)

Sitting in a Spanish resort that smells of faeces and eating Big Macs doesn't have the same character building effect does it? :thumbsup:

For some of us, the endless variety of weather is what makes Britain so infinitely fascinating.

And for some of us, weather is irrelevant to having a good time. I quite like going walking in the rain, it makes the post-walk trip to the pub all the more satisfying, if somewhat soggy.

Whether I prefer it to a fortnight in the sun or not is a different matter though - I like to do both rather than one or the other, although Mr Chopsie is a freaking nightmare in the heat, which is why UK holidays tend to suit us better...

Its simple, the weather and the cost. You can travel thousands of miles and be guaranteed good weather for the price of a musty room in a crappy rain soaked seaside town in the UK.

I can sit indoors and watch the rain for free, so why pay to do it somewhere else in the UK!

Archived