Husband & Company..

poppins

I worked very closely with Husband & Co between 1972 and 1976. They were the consulting architects/engineers for us at British Steel research Labs ( was BISRA) at Hoyle Street, in the building of new labs at Middlesbrough which over half of us were to move up to work in.

Mr C. N. Kington ( ex BISRA Hoyle Street) was the partner in charge and John Littler was the architect. There were others too on the services side but I can't remember their names.

I spent a lot of time at their offices in meetings. I am fairly certain that at that time, Richard Husband was the senior partner.

I think they were also the consultants for the original BISRA buildings at Hoyle Street.

John

John Littler, good friend of my family and his wife Sheila lived, initially on Marsh Lane, Crosspool. Moved to Stone Delf, then Slayleigh Ave. in Fulwood. He migrated to near Norwich when he retired. Sheila died about 4 years ago and John lives with his son somewhere in Suffolk I think. Haven't seen him since my parents golden wedding in 1990. Doesn't seem 20 years ago but it is.

Her name is Vivienne and she worked there from leaving college in about 1963.

She was well known for her red hair.

When she comes back from holiday i will ask her about the subject.

I remember the tea lady.

The tea Lady was Frances......my Mom

John Littler, good friend of my family and his wife Sheila lived, initially on Marsh Lane, Crosspool. Moved to Stone Delf, then Slayleigh Ave. in Fulwood. He migrated to near Norwich when he retired. Sheila died about 4 years ago and John lives with his son somewhere in Suffolk I think. Haven't seen him since my parents golden wedding in 1990. Doesn't seem 20 years ago but it is.

I also seem to remember that one of the senior Husband family members lived in one of the nice houses opposite the Roundhouse at Ringinglow all those years ago.

After leaving school in 1982 i went to work there for 6 months on a youth opportunity scheme . It was one of my jobs to make the tea for the typists in the office also had to fetch the sandwiches for everybody from Scott's pantry across the road. I had to learn how to use the switchboard and was taught by Jan (think that's her name) the receptionist think she lived at Bolsterstone. I think Sir Richard (we had call him sir) lived in a farm house just out of Crosspool . I remember there was a rumour about him and his secretary . Didn't like him but Sir Thomas was ok .

After leaving school in 1982 i went to work there for 6 months on a youth opportunity scheme . It was one of my jobs to make the tea for the typists in the office also had to fetch the sandwiches for everybody from Scott's pantry across the road. I had to learn how to use the switchboard and was taught by Jan (think that's her name) the receptionist think she lived at Bolsterstone. I think Sir Richard (we had call him sir) lived in a farm house just out of Crosspool . I remember there was a rumour about him and his secretary . Didn't like him but Sir Thomas was ok .

Yes Richard lived in a farm house, my Mom use to go there often, she also did the board room luncheons for the big wigs as well a doing meals for the staff, they gave her the top floor to live in, we lived there a few years then she got a flat accross the street.

Yes Richard lived in a farm house, my Mom use to go there often, she also did the board room luncheons for the big wigs as well a doing meals for the staff, they gave her the top floor to live in, we lived there a few years then she got a flat accross the street.

IIRC it is the (only) house on the left hand side of Manchester Rd (A57) between the Bell Hagg Pub and Lodge Lane, travelling out of Sheffield.

I think (although I may be getting my myths and stories mixed up) that he had a gyrocopter (or some other sort of folding plane) that he kept there.

The only name I remember from Husbands was a Mechanical Engineer, called Doug Wright, but he would have left a long time ago, probably mid 80s. Unfortunately, he died earlier this year.

IIRC it is the (only) house on the left hand side of Manchester Rd (A57) between the Bell Hagg Pub and Lodge Lane, travelling out of Sheffield.

I think (although I may be getting my myths and stories mixed up) that he had a gyrocopter (or some other sort of folding plane) that he kept there.

The only name I remember from Husbands was a Mechanical Engineer, called Doug Wright, but he would have left a long time ago, probably mid 80s. Unfortunately, he died earlier this year.

I never worked at Husbands, my Mom did, we were given a flat on the top floor to live in for a few years, Mom was like a live in caretaker, I just remember the lady called Miss Ranson as she was the one that offered my Mom the job when she was a waitress at Walshes, Miss Ranson took a liking to her, gave her a job which snowballed into long hours and we ended up living there...nice flat on the top floor, fantastic view of the whole of Sheffield.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Can anyone tell me what happened to Husband & Co,the consulting engineers, as I want to trace the original architects drawings they had prepared for Jodrell Bank. One is reproduced in Bernard Lovell's book he did on Jodrell Bank

I assume they are no longer on Glossop Road but does anyone know what happened to their archive

Would be made up if someone can help me

Thanks

Ed

Hi

Can anyone tell me what happened to Husband & Co,the consulting engineers, as I want to trace the original architects drawings they had prepared for Jodrell Bank. One is reproduced in Bernard Lovell's book he did on Jodrell Bank

I assume they are no longer on Glossop Road but does anyone know what happened to their archive

Would be made up if someone can help me

Thanks

Ed

They were taken over by Mott MacDonald

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mott_MacDonald