Bevin Boys Veterans Badge

London

At last the Bevin Boys are to receive recognition for National Service during 1943 -1948 WW2+. I spent my BB stint at the Nunnery Coliery from Jan 1945 to feb 1948. I have registered for the Bevin Boys Badge - to be issued during 2008. Are there any other survivors from the Sheffield area who have registered. i would be pleased to contact.

At last the Bevin Boys are to receive recognition for National Service during 1943 -1948 WW2+. I spent my BB stint at the Nunnery Coliery from Jan 1945 to feb 1948. I have registered for the Bevin Boys Badge - to be issued during 2008. Are there any other survivors from the Sheffield area who have registered. i would be pleased to contact.

How do you qualify for a badge? The war ended in 1945.And if the Bevan boys get a medal why don`t the steelworkers get one for supplying all the steel for the armaments?

How do you qualify for a badge? The war ended in 1945.And if the Bevan boys get a medal why don`t the steelworkers get one for supplying all the steel for the armaments?

because it was one way of not going in the army thats how they wangled it be a bevin boy

because it was one way of not going in the army thats how they wangled it be a bevin boy
nobody wangled anything,if you were a collier you were forced to remain working down the pit,without the coal there would have been no steel production and no fuel for some of the navy ships

And not least, the pits were fairly dangerous places too, especially given the pressures of wartime production.

I was talking to the Secretary/President of the Bevin Boys' National Association a few weeks ago and there is a very large national membership, organised events and suchlike. I can't remember the name of the regional secretary but I'm sure national officials will put you in touch.

JT

Archived