Sheffield years ago

i remember in the 60,s when every one had a job i had a leu day off from the pit and called into my local pub, the elm tree

i was surrounded by strangers...it was only after asking joe the landlord who they all were that i felt ok

" they are opposite shift t thee,thats why tha never sees em " he said

I agree the Sheffield spirit is still strong. This is no better demonstrated than by the work of Jake Bonsall and his friends that is transforming life in the Manor. If for no other reason it shows the power of the decent living majority can overcome the wrong doing of the minorities who on other estates cause so much unhappiness. It is so easy to sit back and blame someone else for the bad reputation the Manor has got.

Hello again Hazel- Do let me know if/when you do move to Woodhouse I still have friends there- I can introduce you.

Hi Vera, You know I feel we must have people we know in common (does that make sense?). I bet you knew some of our mob that lived Staniforth road way I know - maybe you heard of Joe Birks (my Uncle) tram driver extraordinaire!!! He drove a tram into Burton's window at the corner of Staniforth Road Boom Boom. True. Mary

Originally posted by all4_ofus

good for you, I grew up in sheffield..I live in canada now, but still go back to visit, if I had enough money I would spend 6months there each year..ra ra sheffield

Could have been me posting that.

I left Sheffield in 1995 and came to Canada, and love going back. Its easy to point out faults in a place, and nowhere is totally safe from crime. Most people here think Canada is a super safe place, but the rise in violent crime is alarming.....especially shootings in the larger cities such as Toronto. A fact often overlooked is that there are more murders here than in the UK.

The grass is always greener is it not?

Originally posted by hazel

Hi Nanrbbo rogG

Can't place Mrs Mirfin but sounds familier, I'm looking to go back to Woodhouse to live, so will be able to see the changes.

Nice to hear from you vhopkinson.

I hope you are keeping well and next time I visit Oz I shall I will I get Andy to bring me over for a coffee.

Hi Hazel,

I missed your message there sorry. Still find it hard to follow the stories? Of course I will be glad to meet up with you when you come. Why didn't you come yesterday it was 40 deg. lol melt down. Just let me know when you come here and don't forget.

I don 't seem to get on the puter much hubby not real good just now. but I am very well thanks Hazel. If I disappear just send me an email or private message ok.

Vera.

Originally posted by nanrobbo

Hello again Hazel- Do let me know if/when you do move to Woodhouse I still have friends there- I can introduce you.

Hi Vera, You know I feel we must have people we know in common (does that make sense?). I bet you knew some of our mob that lived Staniforth road way I know - maybe you heard of Joe Birks (my Uncle) tram driver extraordinaire!!! He drove a tram into Burton's window at the corner of Staniforth Road Boom Boom. True. Mary

Hi Nanrobbo,

No don't know your uncle Joe. Pardon me but had to laugh when I visualised a tram going off the rails straight into Burtons. window. Bet ya he couldn't do it again if he tried.

Yes I knew a lot of folk from Darnall and Attercliffe. strange you know I don't even know half the people on my street where I live. But then thats not good old Sheffield. When I was over there 6yr ago I travelled on the bus a lot. Everybody spoke to one another and everybody joined in the talk. I luved it. Never been on a bus here but I know they wouldn't talk to strangers, not where I live. Regards Vera.

ps. I knew a family of Mirfins on the Manor they ran a Concert Party and were quite talented.??I was in the concerts.

Originally posted by artisan

Is that where the saying 'thas made a right Joe Birk of that' comes from?

( meaning made a mess of)

Artisan, You could say that. Don't have to translate it to us. LOL

((Thas made a rite Birk o thi sen tha as)). No disrespect to Joe though, they had a tough job trying to get the fares out of them that tried to ride without paying.Not me though lol

Vera.

Re Joe- could quite well be where the saying came from- He's passed on some years ago but during his lifetime was never let forget. He had his name in the Star twice, once from Burma during the war reading the Star and then when he 'popped' into Burtons. God rest him his family had some fun at his expense but he took it in good part.

Archived