Sheffield years ago

Originally posted by vhopkinson

Artisan, You could say that. Don't have to translate it to us. LOL

((Thas made a rite Birk o thi sen tha as)). No disrespect to Joe though, they had a tough job trying to get the fares out of them that tried to ride without paying.Not me though lol

Vera.

Sorry lad, a wo awnee treein t du me best:hihi:

• 4 years later...
I think they were better in many ways. Kids weren't subverted by TV - I didn't see a TV until I was twelve and that was just to watch the coronation in a neighbour's house. A lot less crime and most petty crime was driven by genuine hardship not drug abuse.

Soft fruit was seasonal - I still don't feel comfortable with tomatoes and strawberries in December. Meat from the butchers was properly hung and tatsted like it was supposed to. Yesterdays's bread was half the price of today's bread...these days in can be on the supermarket shelf for several days and they still charge full price for it.

Parents weren't so fearful and anxious about their kids. From eight years old I used to take off on my own for hours on end in the school holidays with just a sandwich, an apple and a tanner (thruppence for tram fares and thruppence for emergencies) in my pocket. People were friendly and didn't treat you with the automatic suspicion that you were up to no good.

The downside was that in winter especially Sheffield could be a dark and dingy place and there were many bad smogs...but strangely asthma wasn't anything like the problem it is today. Kids used to die of other things - I had two classmates die from pneumonia when I was in secondary school.

You were on the opposite side of town to me, Oldtimer. We lived in Highfields..near the start of Abbeydale road.

GB

Hi Greybeard,

I used to live in that area during the 40's and 50's. What road did you live on?T.

Archived