Help with a leaking toilet cistern

After flushing, my toilet cistern fills as normal, but it doesn’t actually stop filling up; the water level in the cistern remains constant but the’re a steady trickle of water that dribbles out and flows down the overflow into the toilet bowl.

I’m no expert but I’ve lifted the lid off the cistern and found that you can reduce the leakage to a slow drip by lifting the metal rod attached to the float slightly. However, it’s a pain in the proverbial to have to do this every time you’ve flushed the toilet so I wondered if any of the forum’s DIY experts could suggest an adjustment that may stop the leak altogether?

Sometimes there is a pin attached to the ballcock that open/closes the valve, if you extend it (by unscrewing it) it causes the water to be shut-off sooner.

Hard to describle but easy to do once you see it in action.

Bending the arm, as suggested, will sometiems work - however, it's the thin end of the wedge; this usually indicates that the inlet valve is failing in some way - possibly washer, possibly just old age.

Another alternative is that the 'float' - the ball part - is taking in water from a leaky seam - this is particularly so on teh older metal ones.

When you bend the metal arm, wrap the arm in a cloth and use two pairs of pliers - one to gently hold and one to gently bend - that reduces the dange of cracking it if it's a hollow tube, as many of the older assemblies are.

You might want to consider getting it replaced; it's a reasonably easy DIY job but I got a plumber in who replaced the old one we had with a new plastic assembly which has been great. MrsP didn't like the idea of me, tools and water...I think she was right. :)

Sometimes there is a pin attached to the ballcock that open/closes the valve, if you extend it (by unscrewing it) it causes the water to be shut-off sooner.

Hard to describle but easy to do once you see it in action.

nicks right,look in the tank and you will see a ball,atached to it is an arm,follow the arm and you will see a thread with a nut on it,adjust the nut to bring the ball further up,the nut is plastic usually so be careful how much pressure you put on it

from the description it is a drop syphon it may be the rubber on the syphon if you turn the water off and hold the syphon and twist it the whole lot will come off.

clean the rubber and generally have a good look at it .. usually it is easier to replace the whole unit as they are a pain.

http://www.elementalsolutions.co.uk/downloads/wcs.pdf

• 3 months later...

Archived