Old doctors in lower wincobank

Trekker

Dr Felix Willie he was my doctor he died in corfu
he was my doctor as well... yes it was grimesthorpe dont know why when its at the bottom of wincobank hill on the corner of wincobank lane: i was born on the other side of grimesthorpe cleveland st to be exact.1962

Think it was dr clarke you mean, his daughter was a friend of mine, I also went to school with Dr wynne`s son.

maryjane,

I don't know whether you were querying Dr. Wynne's death , or the OP 's original question ,but by coincidence I have been reading an old thread about the wash houses at wincobank , being interested in the local history because I have lived here in wincobank for 22 years .

here is a copy of the said posting , way back in 2004 :

re: Old wash houses-esp wincobank. thread started by tara

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

( quote from tara on 11/11/2004)

Oh doctor wynne i cried when he passed away.

He'd only been out to see my baby son a short time before he was ill.

Id had the misfortune to live on the flower estate at that time and wasn't satisfied with the surgery there as my son was very poorly with a severe chest infection and the doctor there would not prescribe anything.

As my son was also born hursch sprungs he needed treatment.

I imediately transfered to doc wynne's surgery as i hadnt experienced his medical care when i lived in lower wincobank ( i had my mums doctor- dr sheehan.)But my dad and all his family swore by dr wynne.

Hey presto dr wynne came out straight away and in a couple of days the antibiotics kicked in and he was on the mend.

my dad also has fond memories of dr Nalahia .

Dr nalahia actually saw one of my grans children behind her when he was called out during the delivery of my uncle dave.

and that child he saw had passed away some years before.

strange experience.

I also have fond memories of blackburn, the royal oak with the famous hot pasties.

and i use to go to a place further up where they had shows on

cant remember the building but there was a bar and a stage but it wasnt a pub.

Also remember the whit marches from wincobank to blackburn

use to start off singing at hallies(wincobank hotel) and go with the brass band down merton lane and through to blackburn and end up in this pig park thing where you could have a picnic.

I remember having my whitsentide dresses all hand made by mrs o hara who lived on barrow rd.

used to also go to newman rd sunday school.(st thomas's)

I hope this has cleared things up maryjane

deecee

• 1 year later...

I was talking to my 90 year old mother about Dr Wynne and his family a couple of weeks ago.

My mother's family lived (and she was born) in the White House, sometimes called the White Cottage which stood on the land now covered with houses on Jardine street and Jardine Close and possibly Merton Rise. There may have been a family dispute over the house and land, and occupancy changed, eventually house and land were sold and the inevitable 'development' happened. But the family stayed in Wincobank.

Dr Wynne was always our family doctor although I did hear of Nallier (spelling?) My brother played with Jamie Wynne and he and my mother laughed at how naughty Jamie was as a kid. My sister played with the daughter (Margaret?)

The strange story that surfaced in this recent conversation was that Dr Wynne (despite being a Catholic) had a 'second family'.

I think because he was a Catholic he would not have been able to have a divorce even if he had wanted to, and also the fact that the lady in question was a patient meant the situation was doubly awkward. So the affair continued and became a family. I think in that era, the status quo was maintained if it was felt that no harm was being done. And I wonder if anyone really knew who to complain to in those days.

Goodness knows what Mrs Wynne went through. I imagine she knew about it eventually but had to put up with it. Usually the person in her position is the last to know. Dr Wynne (being the archetypal irish feller) was also fond of a drop of the hard stuff. My mother says that people accepted this because it was obvious and people liked him. But she was adamant that when Dr Wynne was called into action, he seemed to be able to sober up at will.

My most vivid memory is of the waiting room, full of poorly people sitting on mismatched chairs, half of them creating a fug with their cigarettes. When you entered the room, you counted how many people were sitting in there. When that many people had been in to see the doc, you knew it was your turn. In the surgery, the doctor would have his own fag burning in the ash tray.

Having said all that, we never had much cause for complaint, and we all think of the family fondly and with a smile. You wouldn't want a boring GP would you?

Archived