Your city centre pub crawls in the 70's

shaznay

I used to like exploring the many different pubs in the city centtre and could be found all the way from the Bath off West street right through to the Fat Cat.

I suppose though my rregular haunts for quite a long period would of been the Nelson, the Wapentake, the Cambridge and the Yorkshiremans Arms..

For a very short time I used to go to some nightclubs like Romeo and Juliets, Steelys [worse still] and that one next to Berlins, obviously on these nights I had to wear a shirt and tie which believe it or not was the commonly accepted dress code for many clubs in the late 70's early 80's. I think I only made the mistake once of going into the wap in a suit and tie which caused an awful lot of amusement for many of the regulars it was probably easier to go to the Golden Ball or the Mulberry Tavern when I was 'dressed up'

ah, you've got to post what they're called now (or where they are) if you're mentioning old pubs :-D

the wapentake is the casbah, right?

where was the cambridge? i'm guessing somewhere on cambridge street, lol

Yes the Wapentake is now the Casbah unfortunately.

The Cambridge became part of what was Henrys but I haven't a clue what it was recently I think it is all boarded up now.

Archived