What happened to these coach companies?

hi nimrod arthur kitson also had kitsons garage and transport at the bottom of herries rd which is now charlie browns and brammalls gold room,under brammalls siign is kitsons name,yes its still there.hi hillsboro,what about eagle coaches on bradfield rd it was run by warringtons in the fifties.I have the printing blocks for the letterheads.

Thanks for the info re. Kitson's sign. I intend to photograph it for 'the famly archive'. I think Arthur Kitson was a brother-in-law of my grandmother.

Hirst and Sweeting ! Now there's a blast from the past ! Green livery if I remember rightly.

Yes, spot on - the coaches were in green livery, nicely lined-out. I think they only had two or three (no room for more in the tiny yard) and they were much in demand by local organisations etc. I remember going on an evening trip to Bolsover Castle illuminations - the Hirst & Sweeting coach was booked by the Woodland View Allotment Society. Memories...

Can anyone tell me if there was a Shaw's Coaches in Sheffield?

I have been trying to reconstruct an old photograph taken in the late 40's early 50's I would guess.

There is a coach on the photo with a glass framed sign above the windscreen which has been almost completely obliterated by damage to the picture.

I think I can make the name Shaw's Coaches on it but I am not certain.

I would love to put the name back into the picture but still unsure if it is Shaw's.

I would really appreciate some help if anyone knows of the coach company.

PopT

Here is a scan from the 1973 Kelly's Directory showing local coach firms. One that isn't mentioned is L. & D. Hadfield whose depot was at 51 Montgomery Terrace Road near the Royal Infirmary. Old Mr Hadfield was interested in fair organs, traction engines, steam fairs etc. and he used to run cheap day excursions to these events. He also ran a haulage business, and this is how the firm is listed in the 1973 directory, the coach operation having ended by then.

Pop T

Don't remember a Shaw's coaches in Sheffield past but I do know of a company with the same name who still operate from Whitley ( just off junction 34 of the M62 ) and have done so for a long time. Maybe they are descendents or related? Tel 01977 661214.

Like so many at the time probably sold out to Sheffield United Tours (as my grandfather did G E Whitleys coaches).

Stand corrected I think Jeffcock's sold out to Kirkby's at South Anston.

I'm sure there was a Shaws Coaches in the 1970's - I went to Bradfield School and I'm pretty sure the kids from Wharncliffe Side where bussed in by Shaws. Stannington kids had SUT and Hagues served the Loxley, Bradfield and Hollow Meadows areas.

I'm sure there was a Shaws Coaches in the 1970's - I went to Bradfield School and I'm pretty sure the kids from Wharncliffe Side where bussed in by Shaws. Stannington kids had SUT and Hagues served the Loxley, Bradfield and Hollow Meadows areas.

This Shaws Coaches were a Barnsley based company.