Pubs/bars with dirty Lines and bad beer experience

goldenfleece

have you ever had a 'bad' pint or experienced 'dodgy' beer?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. have you ever had a 'bad' pint or experienced 'dodgy' beer?

• It's very common in managed bars and busy places
    • It's usually the shabby traditional pubs that serve bad beer
    • never had a dodgy or bad pint anywhere
    • refuse to drink in some pubs due to the reputation for bad beer
    • Had experienced food poisoning or illlness as a result of bad beer in a pub
    • I believe some places still 'water down' beer to make more money

:gag:

Here is the thread to maybe 'name and shame' any establishments in Sheffield serving 'bad' beer. Because we take so much love and care with our cellar I HATE to find places who simply either don't care at all about their cellar or product, or even worse, do the UNTHINKABLE and add water to products. It still goes on........

On Friday night I visited a well known traditional pub in town, I was appalled at the quality of the beer. The pub I refer to is less than 5 minutes walk from the Dove and Rainbow, served me a pint of Moonshine that was totally and completely undrinkable, but replaced it with a pint of Absolution when challenged. However, even that was most certainly suspect and 'weaker' than it should have been, plus the keg Strongbow gave my associate a mild case of food poisoning!! Dirty lines or contaminated product, I don't know which. There was no other explanation as the keg Strongbow also tasted a bit odd, and far too watery!! It was not a pleasant experience.

Not going to name them directly as trading standards will be investigating them, but for a busy City Centre pub, I was not impressed. I am on a mission here.......places like that give cask ale a bad name, and since the keg cider was also dodgy, pubs in general a bad name.:rant::rant:

as far as i know, and i will stand corrected if i am wrong,

but

a keg has a breather on the top as well as a tap to draw ale from.

they water it down by recycling old ale and water from the drip trays, through a filter back into the breather on the keg.

its been done for years

as far as i know, and i will stand corrected if i am wrong,

but

a keg has a breather on the top as well as a tap to draw ale from.

they water it down by recycling old ale and water from the drip trays, through a filter back into the breather on the keg.

its been done for years

Thats for CASKS, which have a vent and a tap, yes...

kegs are pressurized and different, but there are various gadgets you can add before the beer reaches the bar via cellarbuoys, etc that mix water in....all highly illegal of course.

From talking to people it seems that the 'traditional' and unmodernized pubs are the worst culprits, rather than the managed bars which kind of shocks me a lot!! There are so few of the former left now they SHOULD be doing a first class job and not serving rancid 'past it' ale with 'additives' (water) in a glass to customers.....some of the traditional houses that should have survived but are no longer with us spring to mind....they lost all their trade through continual poor beer quality....it's a vicious and unforgiving circle....

Archived