Pubs/bars with dirty Lines and bad beer experience

goldenfleece

have you ever had a 'bad' pint or experienced 'dodgy' beer?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. have you ever had a 'bad' pint or experienced 'dodgy' beer?

• It's very common in managed bars and busy places
    • It's usually the shabby traditional pubs that serve bad beer
    • never had a dodgy or bad pint anywhere
    • refuse to drink in some pubs due to the reputation for bad beer
    • Had experienced food poisoning or illlness as a result of bad beer in a pub
    • I believe some places still 'water down' beer to make more money

Thats for CASKS, which have a vent and a tap, yes...

kegs are pressurized and different, but there are various gadgets you can add before the beer reaches the bar via cellarbuoys, etc that mix water in....all highly illegal of course.

I wasnt far off then Goldenfleece was i

well i dare name somewhere (if the mods willl allow me)

Sheffield Lane Top WMC

Black Bull Ecclesfield

Queens, High Green

but to name a few

Which beer? And is this before or after the change to pumps, rather than the previous measured pumps?

KTHFB, IN THIS CASE I WAS TALKING ABOUT DIRTY LINES,

and all these places have them, thats why i only drink bottled beer in them

ok - no need to shout :hihi::hihi:

I do know that they are cleaned once per week at least, but then, I guess I'm not there to oversee the operations, but I usually do pull the water etc through on a Wednesday night after they've been done. I might be able to have a word though.

• 2 weeks later...

In all the managed chains I have been involved professionally with it is now a disciplinary offence to "filter back" to cask, and it has always been a sackable offence with Bass, Whitbreads, Toby, Brewers Fayres, Marstons, Pathfinder Pubs and Spirit Group (I have worked with them all) to return to Keg.

The only issue in these pubs therefore is usually the state of the lines.

The clean line issue can be traced directly to the greed of the operating companies. When I first went in to the industry in the 80's there was a weekly allowance that the manager had to offset the stock loss which is inevitable when lines are cleaned. With Bass this was typically the amount of beer the line held plus a pint. This allowance is no longer there in any managed chains that I know of.

If therefore a manager is struggling to achieve his/her expected stock results then they will try and put off their line cleans for as long as possible.

The over age beer issue is frequently down to poor cellar management and stock rotation, and if this is the case then the licensee wants to take a long hard look at themselves and their career choice. After all how difficult can it be to sell "old before new"

Watering beer down is an offence under the weights and measures act. Report anyone you suspect of it to trading standards and they will soon find that they have a problem with their personal licence.

All this said, the best pint I have had in Sheffield recently was the Black Sheep at the Dove and Rainbow just before Christmas. I would highly recommend it!!! :thumbsup:

I have to say that the Guinness I tried in the Chantrey last week was awful. It tasted like it had soap in it. Rather then complain, We just decamped to the Abbey where the atmosphere was superb, cosy and not too loud or quiet, it was like entering a room full of friends. The Abbey has always sold great Guinness, and recently I have started to get into their handpulled beer too. It is a pity that they don't put on some cask ales.

I have to say that the Guinness I tried in the Chantrey last week was awful. It tasted like it had soap in it. Rather then complain, We just decamped to the Abbey where the atmosphere was superb, cosy and not too loud or quiet, it was like entering a room full of friends. The Abbey has always sold great Guinness, and recently I have started to get into their handpulled beer too. It is a pity that they don't put on some cask ales.

The Tetley's handpulled is cask. Did you mean some 'more' cask ales ;)?

Watering beer down is an offence under the weights and measures act. Report anyone you suspect of it to trading standards and they will soon find that they have a problam with their personal licence.

All this said, the best pint I have had in Sheffield recently was the Black Sheep at the Dove and Rainbow just before Christmas. I would highly recommend it!!! :thumbsup:

Black Sheep is one of our regular cask ales too:)

I did report that pub in question to TS....strangely its been closed for a few days too.......

Archived