Pubs/bars with dirty Lines and bad beer experience

goldenfleece

have you ever had a 'bad' pint or experienced 'dodgy' beer?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. have you ever had a 'bad' pint or experienced 'dodgy' beer?

• It's very common in managed bars and busy places
    • It's usually the shabby traditional pubs that serve bad beer
    • never had a dodgy or bad pint anywhere
    • refuse to drink in some pubs due to the reputation for bad beer
    • Had experienced food poisoning or illlness as a result of bad beer in a pub
    • I believe some places still 'water down' beer to make more money

In all the managed chains I have been involved professionally with it is now a disciplinary offence to "filter back" to cask, and it has always been a sackable offence with Bass, Whitbreads, Toby, Brewers Fayres, Marstons, Pathfinder Pubs and Spirit Group (I have worked with them all) to return to Keg.

Although that's true they do also put on virtually unreachable 'wastage' targets which some chains put an awful lot of pressure on managers to reach with penalties if they're not so often managers do fiddle with putting wastage back into circulation.

I worked in a Scottish and Newcastle pub of Piccadilly circus where the managers had us pour the slops from the drip trays back into pint glasses and then top them up with new beer and serve. Needless to say I got out of there as quickly as I could!

In all the managed chains I have been involved professionally with it is now a disciplinary offence to "filter back" to cask, and it has always been a sackable offence with Bass, Whitbreads, Toby, Brewers Fayres, Marstons, Pathfinder Pubs and Spirit Group (I have worked with them all) to return to Keg.

Although that's true they do also put on virtually unreachable 'wastage' targets which some chains put an awful lot of pressure on managers to reach with penalties if they're not so often managers do fiddle with putting wastage back into circulation.

I worked in a Scottish and Newcastle pub of Piccadilly circus where the managers had us pour the slops from the drip trays back into pint glasses and then top them up with new beer and serve. Needless to say I got out of there as quickly as I could!

I have seen this many times in the past, and its something I would never do.

I have always worked on one principle - If I wouldnt drink it myself, I wont sell it.

on a funnier side, you see this most nights on CORONATION STREET.

have you ever seen them fill a pint from and empty glass???? i think not

and as for betty's hotpot, how old is that cos she is hardly ever there................ LOL

"It's usually the shabby traditional pubs that serve bad beer."

I find it disgusting, that you have used the above as an example.

All the traditional Public Houses that I have been into, in Sheffield are very clean. For example Fagins, The Dog and Partridge, The Wellington, The Hillsborough Hotel, The Fat Cat, The Kelham Island Tavern and others.

Your friend was right. Anything under gas is likely to give you a bloody nose if you try to open it. You won't find a 'watered down' lager.

Not strictly true. After more than 20 years in the industry I can say that there is "more than one way to skin a cat", and I have observed and reported on some weird and wonderful occurrences in pub cellars. Whilst not wishing to give an on-line lesson to any dodgy landlord who may happen on this thread, it is possible to access the contents of a keg without removing the spear. The use of some normal and common pieces of cellar equipment, together with a funnel, will enable you to return beer (or whatever) to a pressurised keg.

As I say, I only ever saw this, never did it.

Thats for CASKS, which have a vent and a tap, yes...

kegs are pressurized and different, but there are various gadgets you can add before the beer reaches the bar via cellarbuoys, etc that mix water in....all highly illegal of course.

Don't the local EHOs come round and inspect the delivery set-ups?

Archived