Recovery from Clinical Depression

Hi

Does anyone have a friend / family member who has successfully recovered from major clinical depression? I have been suffering from depression for some years now and I can't even begin to describe how despairing I feel on the bad days. For the first time since I became depressed I have a really good, sympathetic doctor (Devonshire Medical Centre - recommended!) and a chance of getting some professional help. But I am having one of those bleak moods today where I wonder if it really is possible to get better or if depressives are just those people with naturally pessimistic personalities. Be interesting to hear from anyone with personal experience of being treated for depression, what helped them the most etc... cheers, Tracie

I am very depressed. I have been taking citalopram, effexor xl, its not making any difference. I have followed a psychotherapy course, the group was nice, but that didnt make a difference. I'm now thinking of doing hypnotherapy. But I sometimes feels like nothing will ever make me feel better. Who knows??

not having a pop..far from it...as ive never been depressed so i don't konw what your going through but just a suggestion..think how depressed the people of thailand must be feeling now and think how lucky we are to be surrounded by our friends and family..we aint starving and we've got a roof over our heads......just a thought like:thumbsup:

Originally posted by kirky

not having a pop..far from it...as ive never been depressed so i don't konw what your going through but just a suggestion..think how depressed the people of thailand must be feeling now and think how lucky we are to be surrounded by our friends and family..we aint starving and we've got a roof over our heads......just a thought like:thumbsup:

Seems like a good idea on the surface, but the people of Thailand aren't clinically depressed, rather they are very upset by events.

Clinical depression is an illness resulting from an unnatural balance of chemicals in the brain, and you can't pull yourself out of it by positive thinking (unlike when people are what is consider to be depressed - feeling a bit down, or upset about an event).

Changing your diet can often have a positive effect on depression, and is a more long lasting answer than medication.

Originally posted by Snook

Seems like a good idea on the surface, but the people of Thailand aren't clinically depressed, rather they are very upset by events.

Clinical depression is an illness resulting from an unnatural balance of chemicals in the brain, and you can't pull yourself out of it by positive thinking (unlike when people what is consider to be depressed - feeling a bit down, or upset about an event).

Changing your diet can often have a positive effect on depression, and is a more long lasting answer than medication.

like i said i wasn't having a pop coz i don't understand the problem....was just saying what i thought

Changing your diet can often have a positive effect on depression, and is a more long lasting answer than medication. [/b]

I have heard bits and bobs about this before... I read somewhere that caffeine contributes a lot towards people geting depressed, so I gave that up a while ago (I love coffee so that was hard). I guess the rest is just healthy eating and keeping off the junk? (good advice for anyone!)

Dietary changes will help but sometimes you definitely do need the medication - it's all a matter of degree.

Some neurochemical issues can be assisted via diet, but others need you to get heavy on them. Medication will often also give you a 'window' in which you can try and look at the other issues that may be affecting your life without the weight of being depressed.

It's useful to distinguish between getting upset or unhappy and being really depressed. My own minor experience of clinical depression was that I literally couldn't be ar**d with anything at all - showed no initiative, couldn't care less, weepy, miserable, almost in shock. There are chunks of time that I can't really remember - but, I got through it.

Depression can be coped with and can be managed - as well as the medication you need people to talk to and support you.

Joe

Originally posted by TracieJC

I have heard bits and bobs about this before... I read somewhere that caffeine contributes a lot towards people geting depressed, so I gave that up a while ago (I love coffee so that was hard). I guess the rest is just healthy eating and keeping off the junk? (good advice for anyone!) [/b]

Yeah, good advice for everyone, but with depression it becomes a bit more scientific... There are certain foods that will help the balance of chemicals in the brain, as well as getting exercise or a change of surrounding.

Reduced dopamine/norepinephrine caused by boring surroundings and lack of exercise may cause lack of concentration, restlessness, and depression or loss of pleasure. Dopamine is the "feel good" chemical which illegal drugs mimic (such as cocaine, heroin, marijuana) as well as cigarettes, coffee and alcohol. If you become to dependant on these drugs you can have lows that will cause depression because you are missing Dopamine.

Modern food processing has completely altered the types of fatty acids we consume. Since our brain is composed largely of fatty acids, we are missing the thing that are needed for normal brain development and repair. In addition, we are eating lots of man-made chemicals. Food colors, for example, are mostly made from petroleum. Lack of Complex carbohydrates and B vitamins are known to be a factor in depression also.

There's an article here that explains more about it anyway...

http://www.healingwell.com/library/depression/beardsley1.asp

Originally posted by Snook

There's an article here that explains more about it anyway...

http://www.healingwell.com/library/depression/beardsley1.asp

Thanks for that Snook. I'll have a read. I am keen to do as much as I can for myself. The exercise thing is very true - I joined a gym just before Christmas and, on the basis of some advice I read in a book from the library ('get up and be active before depression dictates your day', or something similar) I try and get in there first thing, before I go to work. There is something exhilarating about pounding it all out on the treadmill. Now I just need something to distract me in the evenings! I find the evenings really hard, thats when my thoughts get very negative and destructive. I haven't lived on my own before but I feel very self conscious amongst other people so its a no win situation!

Archived